Burp Suite User Forum

Login to post

Your JRE appears to be version message / error

michael | Last updated: Oct 16, 2020 11:00AM UTC

I want to run the stand-alone JAR file using -Djsse.enableSNIExtension=true & -Xmx3696m as params, but Burp Suite keeps on putting "Your JRE appears to be version 11.0.8 from Debian" "Your JRE appears to be version 14.0.2 from Debian" (after I installed openjdk-14-jdk in Kali via apt, since I read somewhere else "our platform versions come packaged with OpenJDK 14") How can I resolve this thing? I want to use the params in order to customize. Note: The platform version works, but for that I need to add the -Xmx3696m param to the BurpSuitePro.vmoptions file. However, I do not know how to add -Djsse.enableSNIExtension=true (from the launcher it calls BurpSuitePro %U) in that case.

michael | Last updated: Oct 16, 2020 11:00AM UTC

FYI: I am using: Description: Kali GNU/Linux Rolling Release: 2020.3

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 16, 2020 11:28AM UTC

You can use any Java version between 9 and 14 in the most recent versions of Burp. The JRE packaged with the latest version (2020.9.2) is 14+36. You can find this on https://jdk.java.net/archive/. Can you try using that version? Have you tried adding your additional command-line parameter to the VMOptions file? It looks like the parameter is just enabling the SNI extension, which can be done within Burp (User options > TLS > Java TLS Options). Have you tried this?

michael | Last updated: Oct 16, 2020 02:01PM UTC

Yes, I installed it and now works without that message. For the ones interested: I extracted openjdk-14_linux-x64_bin.tar.gz to /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-14 sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-14/bin/java 1 sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/jar jar /usr/lib/jvm/jdk-14/bin/jar 1 sudo update-alternatives --config java Now when I start it the message is gone, however: "WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred WARNING: Illegal reflective access by burp.yq (file:/opt/BurpSuitePro/burpsuite_pro.jar) to method java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(java.lang.String,byte[],int,int) WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of burp.yq" But that should not be a problem I guess, after reading another topic on the forum. I have not tried adding other options to the VMOptions file, I will try. Yes I am aware of the SNI option inside Burp, but I read somewhere it was advisable to add it to the command line as well (maybe it does not matter).

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 16, 2020 02:04PM UTC

Thanks a lot for sharing your feedback!

You need to Log in to post a reply. Or register here, for free.