Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

XML/HTML invalid version1

John | Last updated: Jun 17, 2021 07:24PM UTC

Looks like Microsoft has changed the game again. Word, Excel, and Access do not like the output from Burp Suite from the Issue Activty report. The more I try to get Burp Suite Professional to be a tool, the more difficult it becomes. Xml processing failed. Either the input is invalid or it isn't supported. (Internal error: Version number '1.1' is invalid. Line 1, position 16.)"

John | Last updated: Jun 18, 2021 07:53PM UTC

Hello, I attempted a work around. I replaced the Version Number '1.1' to '1.0'. I then save the file using NotPad++. I was then able to import into Excel and view the data. Apparenty, Microsoft is not working with Version Number '1.1'.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jun 21, 2021 07:43AM UTC

Hi John, Just to clarify - the XML vulnerability report that you created through Burp had an XML version of 1.1 and you had to revert this back to 1.0 in order for it to work alongside other tools? If so, which version of Burp are you using and is version 1.1 always the version that is generated when you create a report through Burp?

Passaro | Last updated: Nov 22, 2021 09:25AM UTC

Hi, I am also interested in this problem. I have verified that suddenly Burp Suite v.2021.2 generates the xml report in version 1.1 and now I have problems with parsing. I have to manually change the xml version to 1.0. I also tried with a previous version of Burp v.1.7.37 and it always generates the report in version 1.1. How can you set the desired version?

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 22, 2021 11:29AM UTC

Hi Giovanni, Burp should be generating reports in XML version 1.0. Are you able to clarify exactly how you are creating your reports within Burp so that we can take a look at this for you?

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 22, 2021 11:39AM UTC

Hi Giovanni, Apologies - I posted the above too soon. When you come to generate the XML report via Burp does enabling the 'Base64-encode requests and responses' option improve things for you?

Passaro | Last updated: Nov 22, 2021 01:26PM UTC

In fact, if I create the xml report with base-64 it creates it in version 1.0, if instead I remove the check mark for base-64 it creates it in version 1.1. But it would be better to have a choice, right?

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 24, 2021 12:20PM UTC

Hi Giovanni, Can you clarify why you want to be able to manually select the XML version the reports are generated in? We change the version of XML the reports are generated in based on whether Base64 encoding is being used in order to handle the different outputs. If you need to use version 1.0 then the suggestion would be to make sure that you are encoding the output.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.