Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Weird CPU spikes on Proxy Http History Tab - Burp Version 2024.1.1.6

Mike | Last updated: Mar 21, 2024 04:16PM UTC

I'm running Burp Version 2024.1.1.6 ----------------- I have NO extensions enabled. ----------------- I have no passive scans running (I checked diagnostics to be sure) ----------------- What I'm seeing when I'm on the Proxy Tab->Http History my CPUs starts hovering around 40% and all 4 cores start spiking up and down. This happens even when there is NOTHING going on, no browser loaded, no mouse movement, nothing. IF I change to any other tab (repeater, dashboard, intruder etc) the CPU immediately Drops to zero. I can watch this behavior on my CPU monitor etc. if I go back to the HTTP History the CPU spikes back up and cores start bouncing. I've tried rebooting, disabling anything that might explain it. nothing solves issue. Is this a known bug in current version? more machine details below Burp Version 2024.1.1.6 Build Number 27682 Product Name Burp Suite Professional --------------------------------- Running in a Kali VM java.runtime.version 19.0.1+10-21 Number of processors 4 Total JVM memory 520 MiB Max JVM memory 4 GiB Free JVM memory 214.18 MiB Total physical memory 15.59 GiB Free physical memory 13.14 GiB Total swap 975 MiB Free swap 975 MiB

Mike | Last updated: Mar 21, 2024 05:20PM UTC

Additional things I've tried. Tried Java 17 and 19 no change in behavior. Tried creating new projects with only a couple Get/POSTS captured in the HTTP History, same issue. Tried turning off anything that could affect the HTTP History window rendering, like tiger stripes, pretty print, hex, inspector etc.

Mike | Last updated: Mar 21, 2024 05:57PM UTC

ok...seems was an issue with VMWare Pro, updated to latest and now problem is gone.

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 22, 2024 09:40AM UTC

Glad to hear it! If you do continue to experience issues, could you test out our Early Adopter release? It contains some more performance improvements. If you'd like to switch over to Early Adopter, just go to "Settings > Suite > Updates" and change your dropdown from Stable to Early Adopter. After that, if you wait a minute or so, a popup should appear in the top right-hand corner of Burp, with the option to restart your installation.

Mike | Last updated: Mar 22, 2024 02:37PM UTC

Thanks. Sadly today the problem is back again, I'll try the early adopter build

Mike | Last updated: Mar 22, 2024 02:39PM UTC

hmm this is grayed out. is it because I'm using the jar file?

Mike | Last updated: Mar 22, 2024 02:40PM UTC

nm I see "Installer version only" will go get the jar.

Mike | Last updated: Mar 22, 2024 03:19PM UTC

ok upgraded to Professional / Community 2024.2.1.2 (JAR file), upgraded to java21 in support of this jar class file format. still seeing the odd behavior. cpu spiking and idling at around 40% cpu then slowly climbing over time. Move to any other tab and CPU drops to zero. rinse, repeat. my kali is up to date, running xfce desktop FWIW.

Mike | Last updated: Mar 22, 2024 04:50PM UTC

ok this is going to sound weird :) but here is the deal. The "HTTP History" has a series of columns. I had these set to a custom order, response time turned off, Listener Ports column on the left as column 2, etc. As soon as I clicked the three dots on the right side(Options) and clicked "Restore default layout", CPU dropped to zero. It must be something to do with custom HTTPHistory tables with custom column order. anyway.. hope this in some way helps others who may run into this.

Abbadon | Last updated: Mar 25, 2024 08:28AM UTC

I had exactly the same issue. After restoring the default layout in HTTP history tab the high CPU load is gone. @Mike: Thanks for the hint! I've compared the columns before and afterwards. At least there was no difference in selected columns and column order.

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 25, 2024 01:02PM UTC

Thanks for that information! We have some additional performance improvements for the Proxy History table that will be coming with our next Early Adopter release (v2024.3.x). If you can replicate the issue, would you be able to test against that version once it has been released? Did you have any sorts applied to your columns? Do you typically use a project file on disk, or a temporary project in memory? If you use a disk-based project file, is it a particularly large file that causes this issue, or does it happen with any size?

Mike | Last updated: Mar 27, 2024 01:54PM UTC

I'd be happy to try this with 24.3.x when available. I have some scope rules applied, just move a couple columns around and do work I usually use a project file (almost always). but I was able to start with new project and still get it to happen.

Brian | Last updated: Mar 27, 2024 05:32PM UTC

Observed the same behavior: > Tab:Proxy:HTTP history - CPU Spike until I selected "Restore default Layout" > Tab:Target:Site Map - CPU spike until I selected "Restore default layout" > Other tabs did not seem to spike CPU Other Info: Burpsuite Version: Professional 2024.1.1.6 OS macOS 12.7.3 java.vendor Eclipse Adoptium java.vendor.url https://adoptium.net/ java.vendor.url.bug https://github.com/adoptium/adoptium-support/issues java.vendor.version Temurin-17.0.10+7 java.version 17.0.10 java.version.date 2024-01-16

Brian | Last updated: Mar 27, 2024 05:41PM UTC

Small update: To replicate: > Move a few columns around, disable a few columns (Ex: turn off TLS) > Quit burpsuite > restart burpsuite with the same project file > CPU spikes > Restore default layout eliminates the spike ...so I couldn't replicate unless I exited, and the restarted BURP with a project file that had a non default layout....

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 28, 2024 10:22AM UTC

Thanks for that information! We'll look into replicating this behavior so we can try and verify if we need to put some further improvements into the upcoming release.

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 04, 2024 09:54AM UTC

Hi v2024.3.1 is now available on our Early Adopter channel. If you'd like to switch over to Early Adopter, just go to "Settings > Suite > Updates" and change your dropdown from Stable to Early Adopter. After that, if you wait a minute or so, a popup should appear in the top right-hand corner of Burp, with the option to restart your installation. Please let us know if you continue to experience this issue or if there's anything else that we can help with.

Mike | Last updated: Apr 04, 2024 03:53PM UTC

I just tried it, still seeing issue. If I restore default layout, OR resize the Time column CPUS drop to zero problem goes away.

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 05, 2024 01:53PM UTC

Thanks for letting us know! Would it be possible for you to drop us a quick email at support@portswigger.net with a screen recording of this behavior, so we can ensure that we're replicating it in the same way?

Mike | Last updated: Apr 10, 2024 08:13PM UTC

ok sent screenshots. also to add, I have seen this same behavior using the "Search" dialog which also uses the same kind of UI Widget. Strange indeed.

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 11, 2024 01:30PM UTC

Thanks, we've got your email.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.