Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

WebSockets Not Working Through Burp Proxy

Fletcher | Last updated: Jan 21, 2019 01:33AM UTC

I'm currently pentesting a web application that utilizes Firebase and connects to it using WebSockets. I have the burp proxy correctly configured and other WebSockets connections work perfectly fine, it's specifically any Firebase ones that do not work. My first impression was that it's the "X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff" HTTP header, but after some googling, I'm not sure about that. Is there anything I can do or test to figure out the root cause of this issue?

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 21, 2019 10:54AM UTC

Please try disabling "Strip Sec-WebSocket-Extensions headers in incoming requests" which is in Proxy > Options > Miscellaneous. Let us know how you get on.

Burp User | Last updated: Jan 21, 2019 10:57PM UTC

Unfortunately it still doesn't seem to be working

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 22, 2019 09:03AM UTC

Can you share the URL of the app you're work on? Send to support@portswigger.net if you don't want it publicly visible. I just tried a Firebase sample app and it worked correctly through Burp - but it didn't use WebSockets and it wasn't immediately clear how to force that.

Burp User | Last updated: Sep 04, 2019 06:06AM UTC

Has this problem been solved? I have same problem and I do disable Strip Sec-WebSocket-Extensions headers, but it does not work as well

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 04, 2019 07:42AM UTC

Have you updated to the latest version of Burp Suite?

Burp User | Last updated: Sep 06, 2019 05:16AM UTC

yes, my version is v2.1.03 now. Or do I also need to change any sitting in burp?

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 14, 2019 12:44PM UTC

Can you share the URL of the app you're working on? Send to support@portswigger.net if you don't want it publicly visible.

Burp User | Last updated: Nov 19, 2019 01:13PM UTC

Same here. Without Burp everything works fine, but with burp I get this error: [2019-11-19T13:10:46.081Z] @firebase/firestore: Firestore (6.0.4): Could not reach Cloud Firestore backend. Backend didn't respond within 10 seconds. This typically indicates that your device does not have a healthy Internet connection at the moment. The client will operate in offline mode until it is able to successfully connect to the backend.

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 19, 2019 01:14PM UTC

Can you share the URL of the app you're working on? Send to support@portswigger.net if you don't want it publicly visible.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 19, 2019 02:24PM UTC

Hi Xavier, Is this related to the Firebase issue mentioned earlier in the thread or a websocket issue? What browser are you using?

Burp User | Last updated: Dec 09, 2019 09:31PM UTC

This issue seems to be related with a firebase bug which is reported at: https://github.com/firebase/firebase-js-sdk/issues/1190 There is a workaround explained in: https://github.com/firebase/firebase-js-sdk/issues/1190#issuecomment-552528853 Which I was able to "hot-patch" by adding a few search and replace entries to the proxy: * Search for this.forceLongPolling=void 0===e.experimentalForceLongPolling?Ci:e.experimentalForceLongPolling , replace with this.forceLongPolling=true * Search for e.experimentalForceLongPolling replace with true

Burp User | Last updated: Dec 14, 2019 06:45PM UTC

This issue also happens on https://2019.kringlecon.com/ using Burp Suite Community 2.1.04. Unchecking "Strip Sec-Websocket-Extensions..." did not work. I haven't found a workaround yet.

Burp User | Last updated: Jan 01, 2020 08:59AM UTC

my burpsuite is unable to connect any websocket.. i tried diffrent browsers Unchecking "Strip Sec-Websocket-Extensions...".... I can't see the request to the websocket endpoint in burp in browser (firefox) i see this error message Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at wss://* version of burp suite: latest community (2.1.07) also in professionel 2.0.06 let me know if any further information required to help me to fix this issue Thanks

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 02, 2020 10:32AM UTC

Hi Alvli As you have started a separate support query, we will continue to answer you on the other thread (https://support.portswigger.net/customer/portal/questions/17684323-websockets-not-working-with-burp)

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.