Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Visual Glitches within Burp, on secondary screen

Frank | Last updated: Jun 19, 2022 10:59AM UTC

Hello, For the last couple of versions, I have encountered weird visual glitches of Burp Suite. Video showing the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgXuIyel_MI At 0:40, it even shows the content of the other Burp window that is in the background. The popup appearing comes from the foreground window though. In the video, I move the mouse as I have the impression that triggers it faster. I do not click anywhere unless I change screens. Sometimes this issue happens very fast; sometimes, I use Burp without encountering it. (But that might relate to the screens used in the individual sessions, see next paragraph) During testing for the recording, I noticed that this bug appears to happen on the secondary screen only. Moving the glitching window from the secondary screen to the primary one, the glitching stopped. Moving it back to the secondary screen and the glitching started again. It might be related to this bug report from 2020, but that post lacks further information: https://forum.portswigger.net/thread/burp-glitches-on-addidional-screen-537fb1c1 Best regards Frank

Frank | Last updated: Jun 19, 2022 11:09AM UTC

OS: Windows 10 Screen scaling is not used on either screen

Frank | Last updated: Jun 19, 2022 05:20PM UTC

Right now, I encountered the same issue happening on the primary screen as well. So it was a fluke earlier that it only appeared on the secondary screen during recording.

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jun 20, 2022 12:14PM UTC

Thanks for your message, Frank. Could you send me your diagnostics information? You can find this by going to "Help > Diagnostics" within Burp.

Frank | Last updated: Jun 20, 2022 04:29PM UTC

Hello Liam, thank you for the response. You can find the diagnostics output at https://www.dropbox.com/s/ke180q9j13onjxp/burp_diagnostics.txt?dl=0 Best regards Frank

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jun 21, 2022 12:12PM UTC

Thanks, Frank. We haven't been able to trigger this issue in our testing. To help us reproduce the issue, could you let us know if there is anything else running on your machine?

Frank | Last updated: Jun 28, 2022 03:30PM UTC

Hello Liam, My usual setup is: - Burp - a few different browsers (Firefox and Chrome, sometimes Opera) - a WSL2 shell - Total Commander - Visual Studio Code - Flameshot In the background, Dropbox is running. Best regards Frank

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jun 29, 2022 01:47PM UTC

Hi Frank. They seem pretty reasonable. Are you using a graphics card? If so, are your drivers up to date? Is Windows fully updated? Could you try launching Burp from the command line with each of these settings in turn and let us know if there is an improvement, please? 1: -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true 2: -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false 3: -Dswing.useflipBufferStrategy=True 4: -Dsun.java2d.ddforcevram=true 5: -Dsun.java2d.ddblit=false https://portswigger.net/burp/documentation/desktop/troubleshooting

Frank | Last updated: Jun 29, 2022 08:34PM UTC

Hi Liam, yes, I'm using an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 TI graphics card. All drivers and Windows itself are fully updated. I'll try the command line options over the next few days. Is there an issue trying all of them at once? The problem happens intermittently only so it would be faster to see if any of them brings an improvement. In the troubleshooting link you posted it is listed under 'scaling issues with 4K', so it might be worth mentioning that both screens use 1920x1080 without any scaling. Best regards Frank

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jun 30, 2022 09:44AM UTC

Hi Frank. I sent over the article just as an example. We think you could try them at the same time. Let us know if you see any improvement.

Frank | Last updated: Jul 17, 2022 11:05AM UTC

Hi Liam, The options you provided I added to my user.vmoptions file. Over the last weeks, I used Burp Suite a few times. I did not reencounter the issue. Does any of the options cause an adverse side-effect, or can I continue using them all together indefinitely? Best regards Frank

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jul 18, 2022 08:55AM UTC

Thanks for the update, it's good to hear that those options are helping. If you've not seen any adverse side effects since you added them, you should be ok to keep using them the same way. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Frank | Last updated: Jul 18, 2022 05:48PM UTC

Hello Michelle, Liam, In this case, I keep all the options in and keep going. It was a very annoying issue, so thank you for the support. Best regards Frank

brenden | Last updated: Jun 06, 2023 04:18PM UTC

I am also getting visual glitches on my Windows 11 machine. I tried running the troubleshooting command from here: https://portswigger.net/burp/documentation/desktop/troubleshooting But it is not launching burpsuite at all. Command: PS C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Programs\BurpSuitePro> start .\jre\bin\javaw.exe -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -jar .\burpsuite_pro.jar Start-Process : A parameter cannot be found that matches parameter name 'Dsun'. At line:1 char:27 + start .\jre\bin\javaw.exe -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Dsun.java2d.noddraw ... + ~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Start-Process], ParameterBindingException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NamedParameterNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.StartProcessCommand Removing 'start' doesn't return anything: PS C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Programs\BurpSuitePro> .\jre\bin\javaw.exe -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -jar .\burpsuite_pro.jar PS C:\Users\user1\AppData\Local\Programs\BurpSuitePro>

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jun 07, 2023 08:32AM UTC

Hi I've just tested using that command here and I was able to successfully launch Burp. It might be worth checking that there some of the characters in the command (e.g. dashes) have copied correctly. Alternatively, you could add the options to the BurpSuitePro.vmoptions file and then launch Burp using your normal shortcut. If this is successful ou can then create a user.vmoptions file so that the settings are preserved when Burp upgrades.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.