Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Very long crawl times

Heijstek, | Last updated: Aug 19, 2019 09:05AM UTC

Hi, Since Burp 2.0 is out of beta I started using it today for a project I'm working on. While crawling a website, I noticed it took a very long time to crawl the website. So I decided to run a test on demo.testfire.net (IBM testsite for Appscan) with Burp 2.1.03 and 1.7.37. The old version performed a crawl under 2 minutes, while the new version with crawl limit - 60 minutes took 20 minutes. I also tested crawl strategy - fastest, which also took significantly more time than the old version. While I understand the need for a new crawler, the increased crawl times make it very difficult to scan large websites, as these kind of projects often have a limited run time. Is there any way this can be mitigated? Kind regards

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Aug 19, 2019 10:30AM UTC

Thanks for your feedback Jorik. We've done some testing and we haven't been able to replicate this crawl time. On the fastest setting, it took Burp 2 three minutes to perform the crawl. It crawled 160 locations and sent 687 requests. Would it be possible to turn on the logging for the crawler and send us the results? (Crawl > Scan configuration > New > Crawl Optimization > Crawl strategy options > Enable logging).

Burp User | Last updated: Aug 20, 2019 09:47AM UTC

Hi, Will do that. I've already generated a log file for demo.testfire.net and I'm working an a log file for the project I'm working on. How can I send these log files to you? Kind regards

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Aug 20, 2019 11:42AM UTC

You can send the files to support@portswigger.net. Thanks.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.