Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Upload custom scan configuration with upstream proxy connection

Joel | Last updated: Oct 08, 2020 03:48PM UTC

I've been trying to upload custom scan configurations that send all outgoing requests to my upstream proxy server (using basic authentication). After searching around the web for answers, it seemed like uploading a configuration with a "project_options" would work. I tried: { "project_options": { "connections": { "upstream_proxy": { "servers": [ { "destination_host": "*", "enabled": true, "proxy_host": "10.0.30.60", "proxy_port": 8888, "authentication_type": "basic", "username": "joel.cornelius@nccgroup.com", "password": "QAhLTddTTBWs9moTWYtiKW1K" } ] } } } } and no luck (not seeing any traffic going into my proxy). So then I tried to unwrap the configuration so it would look like: { "connections": { "upstream_proxy": { "servers": [ { "destination_host": "*", "enabled": true, "proxy_host": "10.0.30.60", "proxy_port": 8888, "authentication_type": "basic", "username": "joel.cornelius@nccgroup.com", "password": "QAhLTddTTBWs9moTWYtiKW1K" } ] } } } But again, this entirely ignores the upstream proxy. How does one configure a scan in Burp Suite Enterprise to use an upstream proxy?

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 09, 2020 07:33AM UTC

Hi Joel, What version of Burp Enterprise are you currently using? The ability to use upstream proxy servers was incorporated into the UI several versions ago so you should not need to upload a configuration file but, instead, can do this entirely within Burp Enterprise itself. If you navigate to "Gear" menu -> Scan configurations and then click the New configuration button, within the resulting page you have the ability to create a new scan configuration. At the bottom of this page there is a Connections -> Upstream Proxy Servers section where you can enter the relevant details for your proxy. If you then save this configuration and apply it to any subsequent scans that require the use of the proxy then this should ensure that all requests are sent via the configured proxy.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.