Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Unknown host error: static-assets.default.svc.cluster.local

Sean | Last updated: May 05, 2022 05:25PM UTC

I'm using the Burp Chromium browser (which is a great feature, btw). I'm getting a unknown host error when I start browsing my target. I'm trying to upload the screenshot, but there seems to be no such option when creating a new post. I'll try and add it once the post is posted.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 06, 2022 08:37AM UTC

Hi Sean,

It looks like the DNS resolution on the machine Burp is installed on cannot resolve your host.

Can you please share the information below with support@portswigger.net?

• Can the machine Burp is hosted on reach static-assets.default.svc.cluster.local in a browser not configured to work with Burp?
  • Can you please share the results of a ping, nslookup, and traceroute?
  • Screenshots of Project options > Connections and User options > Connections
  • Do you need an upstream proxy to access the cluster hosting the local assets? Is the cluster itself configured correctly in terms of networking?

Sean | Last updated: May 10, 2022 07:46PM UTC

I do not seem able to reach static-assets.default.svc.cluster.local through a browser. What would you like me to ping or traceroute? nslookup static-assets.default.svc.cluster.local Server: 8.8.8.8 Address: 8.8.8.8#53 ** server can't find static-assets.default.svc.cluster.local: NXDOMAIN I don't know how to share screenshots through this portal, but the Project Options->Connections and User Options->Connections are all default, no changes made. --Sean

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 11, 2022 07:32AM UTC

Hi Sean, Please feel free to email us at support@portswigger.net and you can include screenshots and details via that medium. On the face of it, it sounds like the machine on which Burp is installed on cannot connect to that host at all (either when proxying traffic through Burp or simply when using a vanilla browser) - is this a host you are expecting to be able to connect to or do you need to carry out some further configuration on your machine in order for this connection to happen successfully?

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.