The Burp Suite User Forum will be discontinued on the 1st November 2024.

Burp Suite User Forum

For support requests, go to the Support Centre. To discuss with other Burp users, head to our Discord page.

SUPPORT CENTRE DISCORD

Create new post

Unable to start embedded browser on Burpsuite JAR executable

Dang | Last updated: Aug 24, 2024 08:37PM UTC

I am running Burpsuite community edition latest version (v2024.6.6) on Ubuntu 22.04 and when i try to open the browser from proxy tab it doesn't open without showing any errors in terminal and in GUI it simply says "Burp Browser Error" with the dialogue box being empty. Here are some output from my terminal regarding java version am using: $ java --version java 22.0.2 2024-07-16 Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 22.0.2+9-70) Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 22.0.2+9-70, mixed mode, sharing) My operating system: $ lsb_release -a No LSB modules are available. Distributor ID: Ubuntu Description: Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Release: 24.04 Codename: noble The command used by me: $ java -jar -Xmx4g burpsuite_community_v2024.6.6.jar 1. I am running the above command as normal user and without superuser privileges 2. I've already allowed Burp Browser to run without sandbox from "Settings > Burp's Browser > Allow Burp's Browser to run without a sandbox" 3. When i run the command as "root" or "sudo" the previous error is gone however this time i can see the embedded browser opening a window but showing some unexpected behaviour such as opening and closing on it's own without showing any UI of the chromium 4. Apart from java 22, I also tried using java 21 and 17 but none of them seems to work. I would be grateful to get some help. Thanks

Dang | Last updated: Aug 25, 2024 01:16AM UTC

I apologize for the typo earlier. To clarify, I’m using Ubuntu 24.04, not 22.04. Kindly see the output of "lsb_release" command provided above. Additionally, I’d like to know if it’s possible to install the DOM Invader extension in a standard browser instead of the embedded browser that is included by default to solve my issue.

Dang | Last updated: Aug 25, 2024 01:25AM UTC

Here’s a screenshot showing the error I encountered: https://i.sstatic.net/V09anRit.png

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Aug 26, 2024 03:49PM UTC

Hi If you're using Burp on Ubuntu 24.04, you may need to adjust the file permissions of Burp's browser. You can find some more information on a suggested AppArmour profile here: https://forum.portswigger.net/thread/burp-s-browser-renderer-is-not-working-how-do-i-fix-this-a1194e46 Could you run a Burp browser health check and provide a screenshot of the output? You can find this by going to "Help > Health check for Burp's browser" within Burp.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.