Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

unable to start burp

Claymore | Last updated: Aug 10, 2021 01:39PM UTC

whether it is creating a new/temporary project or trying to open up an old one. I get the below error on burp v2021.8 running on windows failed to create Burp project: cannot read the array length because "<local 8>" is null is there any way to get get more detailed logs?

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Aug 11, 2021 01:47PM UTC

Hi Are you launching Burp from the command line or are you using the platform version of Burp? If you could try launching Burp from the command line, with the "--diagnostics" flag added, and send the output to support@portswigger.net that would be helpful. You can find more information about launching Burp from the command line here: https://portswigger.net/burp/documentation/desktop/getting-started/launching/command-line You can find our latest releases here: https://portswigger.net/burp/releases

Yohann | Last updated: Aug 22, 2021 08:23AM UTC

Hello Hannah, I am facing the exact same problem when using Java 17. I then tried to add the "--illegal-access=permit" parameter, but get the same behavior. I also get a warning from Java: "OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM warning: Ignoring option --illegal-access=permit; support was removed in 17.0". Java 17 is still in early access, but will be out next month as the first LTS version since Java 11. Is there any plan to support it in version 2021.9 of burp suite?

Yohann | Last updated: Aug 22, 2021 08:30AM UTC

Can't seem to find an edit button. For reference, here is the JEP leading to the removal of illegal-access parameter: https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/403

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Aug 23, 2021 09:31AM UTC

Hi Unfortunately, Java 17 is not currently supported. We would recommend using 15 or 16 for now. When our 2021.9 release is out, there should be support for Java 17 and you can retry. Our platform/installer version of Burp comes prepackaged with its own JDK - you could use this in the meantime, instead of switching Java versions to launch Burp? It is currently packaged with OpenJDK 15.0.2.

Yohann | Last updated: Aug 23, 2021 07:42PM UTC

This will definitely works for me in the meantime :) 2021.9 supporting it is a super news! Thank you.

Zeeshan | Last updated: Nov 23, 2021 09:14AM UTC

2021.10.2 is out but no support for java 17

Zeeshan | Last updated: Nov 23, 2021 09:14AM UTC

2021.10.2 is out but no support for java 17

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 23, 2021 02:17PM UTC

Hi

You can use Java 17 with the latest versions of Burp.

If you launch the JAR file using Java 17, some instructions on additional arguments to add will display. Adding these additional arguments will let you use Burp with Java 17.

There may be some extension compatibility issues, so we would recommend initially loading Burp without any extensions enabled, and then enabling the ones that you wish to use with Burp.

You can find an example of the command used to launch Burp with Java 17 here:
java -jar --add-opens=java.desktop/javax.swing=ALL-UNNAMED --add-opens=java.base/java.lang=ALL-UNNAMED burpsuite_pro_v2021.10.2.jar

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.