Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Unable to open or create project files

Ionatan | Last updated: Sep 11, 2023 01:33PM UTC

Hi, I suddenly can not open or create any project files. The program was stuck, as usual. I killed it through the task manager, and I could not open/create any project file afterward. The error I am getting when trying to open a project file is "An error occurred when starting a project with the selected options. Could not open file: <Project-File Path>" The error I am getting when trying to open a project file is "An error occurred when starting a project with the selected options. Could not create file: <Project-File Path>" I am using the latest stable version, v2023.9.4 I have tried: 1. Restarting the machine 2. Reinstalling Burpsuite 3. Uninstalling then Installing again 4. Installing an older stable version v2023.9.1 5. Performing "Clean Burp from computer" and selecting all three 6. Installing in a different folder As for now, I can only use a temporary project mode. Any suggestions?

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 11, 2023 02:23PM UTC

Hi When you create a temporary project file, can you save it, or do you get the same error? Which OS are you using? Can you send the output from Help > Diagnostics to support@portswigger.net? Were there any changes to your setup just before this started happening? For example, did Burp automatically upgrade? If it did, do you remember which version you were using prior to the upgrade? If you install a slightly earlier version than the one you tested, for example, 2023.7.3, do you still see the same behavior?

Ionatan | Last updated: Sep 11, 2023 04:25PM UTC

Hi following this thread https://forum.portswigger.net/thread/can-t-save-anything-a88038c8f1596998, I have figured it out, indeed microsoft protected folder access.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 12, 2023 07:41AM UTC

Thanks for letting us know :)

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.