Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

System to "back up" project files in case of crashes.

Adrian | Last updated: May 02, 2017 02:44PM UTC

So as I understand it, the "Save State" functionality is being removed from Burp and being replaced by the project file. My only issue with this is that when Burp / the OS crashes, project files get corrupted. This morning my laptop crashed and the project file was corrupted so much that the only thing Burp managed to get back out of it were the targets. Entire proxy history was gone. Luckily however, I had Burp configured to save state every hour (via Scheduled Tasks), and I managed to get all my work back from that file. So my request is, please can you implement a similar backup functionality to project files before you remove the "save state" task. Maybe allow users to specify a directory where backups can be saved.

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 02, 2017 03:30PM UTC

We're aware of this issue that some users are affected by with OS crashes corrupting memory-mapped files. We are indeed working on a periodic backup feature. This will be superior to the old automatic backup of state files in that it will only retain a single complete backup file at any time (rather than accumulating multiple files of increasing size), and backups will happen considerably faster. We don't currently have a firm ETA for the new feature but we will prominently announce it in the release notes when it is available.

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 02, 2018 04:36PM UTC

Today's release includes an automatic backup function for project files. Thanks for your feedback and let us know if you run into any other issues.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.