Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Supported/Recomended version of JRE with Burpsuite professional 2.1.07 and latest

Vinay | Last updated: Jan 08, 2021 12:37AM UTC

Team, I have been using BurpSuite professional v2.1.07 in Windows 7 OS w/ Oracle JRE 8 for quite some time. (as part of automation we run BS from commadline by executing .jar file) Recently, I setup a new virtual machine with Windows 10 OS and Adop OpenJDK 8. When I use same version of Burpsuite it takes extremely long (4x) to scan compared to my other environment. I tried to isolate most of the differences and optimize Win 10 for performenace (antivirus, default firewall defender, etc) but so far no luck. Version of JRE remain questionable since its not officially supported. Have you guys seen performance issue with Burp scan when using specific flavor/version of JRE? Thanks, Vinay

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 08, 2021 04:09PM UTC

Hi Vinay, Java 8 was still supported for Burp Professional 2.1.07. The installable version of 2.1.07 comes embedded with (and was tested against) OpenJDK, Version 12.0.2+10 but should work with version 8 and above. Out of interest, have you tried to use OpenJDK on your Windows 7 machine and Oracle JRE on your new Windows 10 machine to see if the behavior is consistent in your different environments?

Vinay | Last updated: Jan 08, 2021 05:13PM UTC

Thanks Ben for the quick response. We are running BS from CLI, so only using .jar executable. > Out of interest, have you tried to use OpenJDK on your Windows 7 machine and Oracle JRE on your new Windows 10 machine to see if the behavior is consistent in your different environments? Yes, I have tried and the behavior was consistent - Win 10 was taking very long to complete scan. Have you encountered any support case, where version/flavor of JRE was causing performance issue for Burp suite? Thanks, Vinay

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 11, 2021 09:01AM UTC

Hi Vinay, To clarify - you have used both OpenJDK and Oracle JRE on your two machines and scans on your Windows 10 machine (using either version of Java) take longer than the scans on your Windows 7 machine?

Vinay | Last updated: Jan 11, 2021 06:09PM UTC

> To clarify - you have used both OpenJDK and Oracle JRE on your two machines and scans on your Windows 10 machine (using either version of Java) take longer than the scans on your Windows 7 machine? That's correct.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 12, 2021 09:12AM UTC

Hi Vinay, If scans using both JREs are slower on the Windows 10 machine (compared to the Windows 7 machine) then that would seem to suggest that something in your Windows 10 environment itself is having an impact on the scan times (rather than the JRE). - Are both machines the same specification (in terms of CPU and RAM)? - Are you setting up and initiating the scans in the same manner on both machines? - Is there any other software running in the background during the course of the scans? - Are both machines located on the same network? - When both scans complete are the number of requests sent and locations discovered roughy the same on both machines?

Vinay | Last updated: Jan 15, 2021 06:22AM UTC

Hi Ben, "yes" to all your questions posted above. Both machines have same hardware specs and other than OS, running same setup. I have sent an email to your support team, with captured logs from both of these environments using BSP logging feature. Hope this may provide additional info to further diagnose this issue. Thank you for your time. -Vinay

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.