Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Some requests have no response in the site map, is this a mis-config issue or a problem?

Matthew | Last updated: Nov 01, 2022 06:02PM UTC

I'm running automated tests on 4 machines through Burp, and most of the request are getting responses, but I'm noticing many that are not. I only do this kind of test every year or so, and with all the changes to Burp between these times, I don't know if it's a new issue that has been introduced, some sort of change that requires tweaking to options on my part, or something else. How can I find out why this is the case. As an aside, I noticed that the majority of items that have no response are displayed in a light grey color instead of black text in the Contents table on the site map tab. Is this a clue? Does it have something to do with the live passive or live audit scanning? If so, can I filter it out? Thanks, Matt

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 02, 2022 10:14AM UTC

If you have passive crawling enabled, the Target Site Map will also display any items inferred by analyzing the responses to proxy requests, so this may explain some of what you are seeing in the site map. Items in the site map that have been requested are shown in black, and the ones that have not yet been requested are shown in gray. You can read more here: https://portswigger.net/burp/documentation/desktop/tools/target/site-map You can filter the Site Map to 'Hide not-found items' by clicking on the Filter just above the site map if that would be useful. You can also view the requests sent by a specific scan task by going to the Scan Task on Burp's Dashboard, clicking 'View details', and then clicking on the Logger tab. I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.