Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

some android apps not showing up in burp suite

M4N1PUL3 | Last updated: Nov 15, 2021 12:22PM UTC

I have done all the settings. I also added the burp certificate to my phone. But, Some applications are not connecting to the internet except the chrome application. my settings. - in burp suite pro proxy > options > *:8082 - in my phone cacert.der changed to cacert.cer and installed wifi settings => proxy name = my pc ip and port = 8082

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 15, 2021 06:59PM UTC

Hi, Are you able to confirm which version of Android is running on your mobile device? In addition, is it only mobile apps that you are having issues with? If so, do you have any examples of the apps that you are trying to interact with?

M4N1PUL3 | Last updated: Nov 17, 2021 04:48PM UTC

android version: 10 QKQ1.200830.002 sample running application: - chrome app - gmail app not working: - play store app - youtube app - spotify app etc. network connection error note: my device is not an emulator

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 18, 2021 08:42AM UTC

Hi, Thank you for the confirmation. In Android versions 7.0 and above you will need to install the certificate as system (on a rooted device) rather than installing it as user. This is due to Android changing how certificates are trusted in these later versions. There is a good guide on how to do this below - if you following from the 'Install Burp CA as a system-level trusted CA' section: https://blog.ropnop.com/configuring-burp-suite-with-android-nougat/ It is also worth noting that some apps will introduce additional security measures, such as SSL certificate pinning, in order to prevent the type of man in the middle attack that Burp is essentially performing. So it is entirely possible that you will not be able to proxy traffic from some apps without carrying out some complex steps (if at all).

M4N1PUL3 | Last updated: Nov 19, 2021 08:21PM UTC

Thanks for the information you provided. Also, it worked in the article you shared. Thanks again

Sam | Last updated: Oct 02, 2023 09:49AM UTC

I looked for this on various websites including youtube and solved it using to unhide the settings application if it’s hidden. https://thegeekpage.com/settings-app-gone-missing/

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.