Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Setup BURP Enterprise In a Docker Container

Alice | Last updated: Mar 26, 2020 11:58AM UTC

Hey All, I want to setup BURP Enterprise edition in a Docker container, so I can run it in a Kubernetes cluster. The documentation doesn't seem to show how to pass through the licensing section with variables or config files (that I could see). If anybody has some tips, I would be grateful. Otherwise, I'll just walk through the setup and save the running containers state.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 26, 2020 03:58PM UTC

Running Burp Suite Enterprise in docker container(s) is not currently supported so you may well encounter problems with licensing and other aspects of using the software that we could not guarantee to solve. The delivery of full Burp Suite Enterprise capability on cloud environments (I.e. - docker containers managed via Kubernetes in AWS, Azure) is on the roadmap for delivery in 2020. You can read more about the roadmap here: https://portswigger.net/blog/burp-suite-roadmap-for-2020 Let us know if you've got any questions. If you want to tell us more about your environment directly you can always email us (support@portswigger.net)

Miguel | Last updated: Nov 27, 2020 08:10PM UTC

Hi guys, I want to know if currently is possible delivery of full Burp Suite Enterprise capability on container environments.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 30, 2020 12:06PM UTC

Hi Miguel, We do not have a specific containerized version of Burp Enterprise and do not currently support this mode of operation. Having said that, as long as you adhere to our system requirements (as detailed here - https://portswigger.net/burp/documentation/enterprise/technical-infrastructure/technical-requirements/firewall-config) and also treat the containers as actual physical machines then there is no reason why this would not work for you. Issues will occur, however, if you are wanting to destroy and recreate the container instances as you might do in a normal containerized workflow.

David | Last updated: May 20, 2021 10:24AM UTC

Hi, i would like to know what issues will occur creating and destroying a activated image of burp in docker. Can i have an image of docker with burp suite pro activated, and launch multiple instances of this image without problem?

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 20, 2021 12:56PM UTC

Hi David, The licensing mechanism is relying on the fact that the machine that Burp Professional is installed on is persistent. If this is not the case then you would need to reactivate Burp when recreating the machine/instance etc. Having to reactivate regularly is then going to have a knock-on effect on the license that you are using (the number of activations available on a given license is finite so you will run out in a short space of time if this recreation process is carried out regularly). I believe that if you have a image that contains an already activated Burp then using this as your 'golden' image should work for you. This is not something that I have tested with Docker so you may want to run a test on this first to make sure it is working in the expected manner.

Andriy | Last updated: Jun 15, 2022 12:44PM UTC

Any updates on this issue? Is there a docker image for Burp Suite Enterprise that I can use? Thank you.

Alex, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jun 15, 2022 02:27PM UTC

Hi Andriy, Whilst official Docker support has not been released, we do have our Kubernetes deployment for Burp Suite Enterprise available now which may be of interest to you. You can find more information in the blog post below: https://portswigger.net/blog/burp-suite-enterprise-edition-kubernetes-deployment-and-auto-scaling Thanks

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.