Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Sequencer

Peter | Last updated: Nov 16, 2016 12:03PM UTC

I have a question on how the sequencer works. Are the tests (monotest, poker, etc) executed on each token and then averaged? So with, for example, 5000 tokens you would have a "decent" average? I know that by definition the monotest counts bits on a 20 000 stream but each of my tokens is only 79 characters. I'm just trying to figure out how the tests work. Thanks

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 16, 2016 01:56PM UTC

The first step is that tokens are split into individual bits, based on the size of the character set at each position. Each bit position is analyzed independently. So if you have 20,000 samples, then there are: - 20,000 values at bit position 0 - 20,000 values at bit position 1 - etc The effective entropy at each bit position is calculated using the standard FIPS tests, and is reported in the bit-level analysis. Then, an overall effective entropy (in terms of numbers of bits) is calculated across the whole token, based on the number of bits with a given entropy level.

Burp User | Last updated: Nov 16, 2016 03:34PM UTC

So, the monotest goes across all of the tokens (calculated across all bit 0, all bit 1, etc) but the other tests (run, poker, etc) are carried out on a token by token basis?

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 16, 2016 04:22PM UTC

All of the FIPS tests work in the same way. They are run against the sequence of bits that is derived from each bit position of the tokens.

Burp User | Last updated: May 26, 2017 09:41AM UTC

how do I save the sequencer analysis report?

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 30, 2017 03:32PM UTC

There isn't a way to export Sequencer results in a report, sorry. You will need to take screenshots of the relevant charts and data.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.