Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Separate Burp Chromium Browser from the local Chrome policy

GarlicCheese | Last updated: Oct 14, 2024 07:14AM UTC

We used to use the built in Chromium Browser of Burp Suite Pro, which was previously unaffected by our mandatory, restrictive Chrome policy deployed system wide. The Chrome policy is deployed via the configuration .json file under /etc/chromium/policies/managed, and restricts the allowed URLs as well as the developer tools. Previously, the Burp browser was unaffected by this, but lately the restrictions also affect the built-in browser of Burp Suite Pro. Is there any approach I can follow, to exempt the built-in browser from the local policy?

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 15, 2024 08:41AM UTC

Have you discussed this with your internal IT team to confirm what changes have been made to the policy recently? If so, were they able to provide any further details on the changes (e.g. are they related to specific Chromium versions) or any advice on how to whitelist Burp's embedded browser?

GarlicCheese | Last updated: Oct 15, 2024 09:12AM UTC

Hi Michelle, there were no changes to the Chrome policy. It's basically just a very limited list of allowed domains. This phenomenon occurs since we moved from Kubuntu 24.04 to TUXEDO OS 3. The Chrome version shouldn't have changed in a major way during this transition. I'm afraid I have no idea how to exclude or allowlist Burp, exempting it from our local policy. I was hoping that this happened due to a change on your end. If that's not the case, it must be how Ubuntu vs. Tuxedo Chromium handle the policy and it has nothing to do with Burp after all.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 15, 2024 03:15PM UTC

Hi We update the version of Chromium Burp uses but nothing major other than that. Which version of Burp are you using? Are you able to share your debug ID?

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.