Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Scanner: Custom user-agent string cannot contain colon

Jim | Last updated: Jan 29, 2021 08:27PM UTC

Hello, I'm doing crawls with various user-agents, but am running into trouble with a few because the user-agent string gets rejected because it contains a colon. Here is an example: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:85.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/85.0 which gives the error message "Custom user agent cannot contain colon" Is there some way I can work around this?

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 02, 2021 10:14AM UTC

Hi Jim, We actually think this might be an issue on our side - the actual problem appears to be that Burp does not like the colon in the 'rv:85.0' part of the string (Burp will happily proxy requests from an external Firefox browser that contain variations of this User-Agent value but will not allow a custom User-Agent that contains this to be saved). Removing this part of the string allows you to save the custom User-Agent successfully. I have raised a bug so that our developers can investigate this issue with a view to fixing it. We will update this thread when we have some further news to share about any potential fix being implemented in a new Burp release.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 16, 2021 04:14PM UTC

Hi Jim, This issue has now been fixed. Can you please update to the latest version (2021.2.1) and let us know if it still occurs?

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.