Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Save Embedded Browser Settings

Patrick | Last updated: Jul 21, 2020 09:08PM UTC

Any changes made to the settings of the embedded Chromium browser are reverted when the application is closed. This includes the removal of installed extensions. It would be helpful if the browser settings could be saved and restored the same as other project data. ----------- One related concern I have is that, by default, any content typed into the address bar is immediately submitted to Google as a search query. While this is expected behavior for Chromium and can be disabled by removing all search engines in the browser settings, these changes will disappear when the browser reverts to the default settings. Users concerned with privacy (or bound to agreements that could be violated by sending a unique hostname to a third-party) must manually disable these features every single time the browser is opened.

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jul 22, 2020 07:24AM UTC

Thanks for your message, Patrick. Which settings are you configuring and which extensions have you installed?

Patrick | Last updated: Jul 23, 2020 09:20PM UTC

I try to make my dedicated testing browser as vanilla as possible, which involves modifying the following settings: - Disabling autofill / auto sign-in - Disable pop-up blockers - Change download folder location - Disable address bar searching - Change the theme to differentiate it from the normal usage browser

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jul 24, 2020 01:36PM UTC

Thanks for the additional detail, Patrick. We've added a note to our dev backlog to consider this feature.

Mölsä, | Last updated: Aug 25, 2020 08:56AM UTC

Hello! It would also be really helpful if the bookmark settings (e.g. "show bookmarks bar" and its content) would NOT be reverted. Thanks! :)

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Aug 26, 2020 08:39AM UTC

Thanks for the suggestion.

Michal | Last updated: Sep 16, 2020 04:30PM UTC

Have you decided whether to implement this feature? Do you have an ETA?

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 17, 2020 12:22PM UTC

We're still monitoring requests for this feature. We can't currently provide an ETA.

Nicholas | Last updated: Mar 12, 2021 05:55AM UTC

It would be really cool being able to use browser extensions without having to reinstall them every time. For example, I sometimes use the Wappalyzer and Cookie Editor extensions, which can come in handy. Are you planning to implement this feature?

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 16, 2021 10:50AM UTC

Yes, we should be releasing this in the near future. We'll update this thread when it is released.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 12, 2021 02:11PM UTC

This has now been released in the 2021.4 version of Burp. Can you please download it and let us know if you have any issues?

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.