Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Response time in Burp's repeater

Nikko | Last updated: Mar 03, 2020 11:18PM UTC

Hi, I want to know if the response time reported by Burp's Repeater in the lower right corner includes the time it takes for the request to leave my computer. For example, if I send a 10MB request and the response time is 25 seconds, is it 25 seconds only for the response or would it be, say, 20 seconds for the request to leave my computer, plus 5 seconds for the actual response? Thanks in advance!

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 04, 2020 01:45PM UTC

Hi, The time shown is the total time taken to receive back the response. Please let us know if you require any further information.

JakeyBoy | Last updated: Mar 27, 2020 12:12PM UTC

Hi Ben, Has the response time been removed from repeater? I'm using BurpSuite Pro v2020.2.1 and I only have the bytes in the bottom right - the response time seems to be missing. It was a really useful feature - I'm hoping this is just a bug and that it's not been removed for good. Cheers

Meierhofer | Last updated: Mar 27, 2020 01:46PM UTC

Hi I have the same problem. The repeater tab is missing the response time. version : 2020.2.1 regards

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 27, 2020 02:01PM UTC

Hi both, Yes, we have been made aware of this issue by some of customers and have passed this onto the Burp developers. They have now created a fix that will reintroduce this functionality in the next release of Burp. We will update this thread when this is released.

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 28, 2020 01:59PM UTC

The response time has been restored to the repeater tab. Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Hubert | Last updated: Oct 01, 2021 09:30AM UTC

@Ben Hi Could you please elaborate on your answer: << The time given is the total time it takes to get the answer back. >> like "the response time is the time after all the data has been sent" or is this time the sending and receiving time? Thx

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 01, 2021 10:34AM UTC

Hi Hubert, The time shown is the time taken to receive back the entirety of the response.

Hubert | Last updated: Oct 01, 2021 10:53AM UTC

Hi Ben Thanks for the quick answer and I now understand it like this: It is only the time the server needs to process the data and send a response. It does not include the time needed by the client to send the data. Correct?

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.