Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Renaming Configuration name

Simko, | Last updated: Sep 21, 2020 04:10PM UTC

Hi, I would love to retain old name of Configuration I chose prior to editing, or being able to set a new one. When I create an Audit configuration like "Audit only parameters", but I want to tweak it on-the-fly (e.g. by making the "Maximum insertion points per base request" value higher), Burp automatically renames my previous configuration name "Audit only parameters" to "Custom configuration" and I'm unable to change it to anything else. Would it be possible to retain the original name, and/or be able to rename existing configuration, which is in use? Thanks:)

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 22, 2020 11:32AM UTC

Are you looking to make these changes once the scan has started? You can choose to save the updated configuration to the Configuration Library and it will be saved with the default name 'Current crawling configuration' or 'Current auditing configuration' and then rename this in the configuration library to something of your choice so you can use it as a base configuration again when starting a new scan. Would that help in your scenario? If not could you tell us a bit more about your workflow, please? When you make a change on the fly, would you then potentially also change it back later to the original setting?

Simko, | Last updated: Sep 22, 2020 01:10PM UTC

Thanks Michelle, my workflow is easy - I only use Auditing of individual requests. So I create a Configuration which is Audit only, and then scan single request. Then I want to tweak the configuration by e.g. changing some small item, and scan another request/or the same one. However when I change anything in the configuration, it is always renamed from what I chose as a name, to "Custom configuration" which is not convenient for me... I hope it describes my use case - if not, please let me know. Thanks Best regards, Andrej

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 22, 2020 03:08PM UTC

Hi Andrej That helps to explain things. I was just wondering what your ideal way of handling this would be. For example, you might start off with a scan configuration called "Audit only parameters". When you make a change to that, would you want to save it as a slightly different name such as "Updated audit parameters" so that you can still easily get back to the original "Audit only parameters" configuration another time should you need it?

Simko, | Last updated: Sep 22, 2020 07:57PM UTC

Hi Michelle, I basically have 2 problems, either one of them would fix my issue:) 1) the scan configuration renames itself without asking me first 2) it's impossible to rename the already existing scan configuration, which I used for scan I'm fine with task numbers which can't be changed, but name should either not change in my opinion, or should be possible to change again by user:) Your 3d way with appending prefix "updated" would work fine as well, as it would retain my old name:)

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 24, 2020 11:12AM UTC

Thanks for the feedback. We've passed the idea on to our product team for further review.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.