Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Remember GUI state including column sizing

tico | Last updated: Nov 16, 2017 01:43PM UTC

Hi, is there any way to make Burp remember the exact GUI state that it had when last used? With GUI state I'm referring e.g. to the sizing of columns especially inside the proxy history as well as in extensions such as Flow. Each time I start Burp and reopen the project I'm working on, I have to readjust column sizing to fit my needs. E.g. decrease width of columns such as "Extension" in proxy history while maximizing the width of the "URL" column. Within the Flow extension most columns are minimized upon startup and I have to manually adjust each one. User specific settings in general (e.g. font size) are restored correctly. It would be great if I could resume exactly where I left off without having to readjust settings. Is it possible to do this somehow? Environment: Kali Linux rolling release, Java 1.8.0_102-b14, Burp started from command line via "java -Xms1g -Xmx6G -jar burpsuite_pro_v1.7.28.jar". Thanks tico

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 17, 2017 12:43PM UTC

Hi Tico, An interesting question. Burp does remember some GUI state, for example the size and position of the main window. It doesn't remember everything - such as the column widths that you noticed. I think that's a quite a good idea, and I've added a story to the development backlog. However, it will be some time until this is looked at. It's unlikely that core Burp would remember settings for extensions. However, you could contact individual extension authors to request this feature - or even have a code at modifying the code yourself.

Burp User | Last updated: Nov 20, 2017 01:30PM UTC

Hi Paul, thank you for your feedback. Would be awesome if this feature is accepted for Burp core. With regard to Flow I've taken a quick look at the code, even though I'm not really fluent in Java. If I read the source correctly it uses fixed (pixel) width values for columns. This would explain why the default sizes do not work for me (4k monitor) and also why I have to resize on each startup. Will check with the author whether it is possible to change this with reasonable effort or not.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.