Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Re-running a 1.0.06beta Enterprise installer shows an error backing up the agent config

ILGUIZ | Last updated: Oct 24, 2018 06:53PM UTC

In Static members: In action "Backup agent.config file [Run script]" (screen "Installation location"), property "Script": java.nio.file.InvalidPathException: Illegal char <:> at index 10: ${compiler:release.version} at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsPathParser.normalize(WindowsPathParser.java:182) at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsPathParser.parse(WindowsPathParser.java:153) at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsPathParser.parse(WindowsPathParser.java:77) at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsPath.parse(WindowsPath.java:92) at java.base/sun.nio.fs.WindowsFileSystem.getPath(WindowsFileSystem.java:229) at java.base/java.nio.file.Path.resolve(Path.java:402) at com.install4j.script.I4jScript_Internal_0.backupConfigFile(I4jScript_Internal_0.java:132) at com.install4j.script.I4jScript_Internal_165.eval(I4jScript_Internal_165.java:1) at com.install4j.script.I4jScript_Internal_165.evaluate(I4jScript_Internal_165.java:*24) at com.install4j.runtime.installer.helper.Script.evaluate(Script.java:33) at com.install4j.runtime.installer.ContextImpl.runScript(ContextImpl.java:201) at com.install4j.runtime.installer.ContextImpl.runScript(ContextImpl.java:195) at com.install4j.runtime.beans.actions.control.RunScriptAction.execute(RunScriptAction.java:34) at com.install4j.runtime.beans.actions.SystemInstallOrUninstallAction.install(SystemInstallOrUninstallAction.java:29) at com.install4j.runtime.installer.ContextImpl$9.executeAction(ContextImpl.java:1701) at com.install4j.runtime.installer.ContextImpl$9.fetchValue(ContextImpl.java:1692) at com.install4j.runtime.installer.ContextImpl$9.fetchValue(ContextImpl.java:1689) at com.install4j.runtime.installer.helper.comm.actions.FetchObjectAction.execute(FetchObjectAction.java:14) at com.install4j.runtime.installer.helper.comm.HelperCommunication.executeActionDirect(HelperCommunication.java:271) at com.install4j.runtime.installer.helper.comm.HelperCommunication.executeActionInt(HelperCommunication.java:246) at com.install4j.runtime.installer.helper.comm.HelperCommunication.executeActionChecked(HelperCommunication.java:184) at com.install4j.runtime.installer.helper.comm.HelperCommunication.fetchObjectChecked(HelperCommunication.java:167) at com.install4j.runtime.installer.ContextImpl.performActionIntStatic(ContextImpl.java:1689) at com.install4j.runtime.installer.InstallerContextImpl.performActionInt(InstallerContextImpl.java:159) at com.install4j.runtime.installer.ContextImpl.performAction(ContextImpl.java:1114) at com.install4j.runtime.installer.controller.Controller.executeAction(Controller.java:380) at com.install4j.runtime.installer.controller.Controller.executeActions(Controller.java:346) at com.install4j.runtime.installer.controller.Controller.executeActionGroup(Controller.java:417) at com.install4j.runtime.installer.controller.Controller.executeActions(Controller.java:351) at com.install4j.runtime.installer.controller.Controller.handleCommand(Controller.java:207) at com.install4j.runtime.installer.controller.Controller.start(Controller.java:106) at com.install4j.runtime.installer.Installer.runInProcess(Installer.java:58) at com.install4j.runtime.installer.Installer.main(Installer.java:45) at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62) at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:564) at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(LauncherEngine.java:85) at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(WinLauncher.java:94) at com.install4j.runtime.launcher.WinLauncher.main(WinLauncher.java:25)

Burp User | Last updated: Oct 24, 2018 06:53PM UTC

$ cat enterpriseAgent/1.0.05beta-869/agent.config { "enterprise_server" : { "url" : "https://localhost:8072", "https_client_configuration" : { "keystore" : { "location" : "D:/burpsuite_enterprise/data/data/keystores/agent.keystore", "password" : "keystorepassword" }, "truststore" : { "location" : "D:/burpsuite_enterprise/data/data/keystores/agent.keystore", "password" : "keystorepassword" } }, "fingerprint" : "MIIBIjANBgkqhkiG9w0BAQEFAAOCAQ8AMIIBCgKCAQEAxizqFfT6OGe4o5VY55NEX9jLl4sfB55dCCaKLKhEVc6cwELNPyuOSBg128WFZCTKVvIZx6G/73BngMJbjugzrLVx9YxlEAVb8nfheDzXgIdfxMPxHU9Tkdox+281id+6Hlt1ESqlTUoITAt6Q8/33wxB15T/7fu57Xi/evLkbp+OGYLAl8xGrAThmmvuowdeqnvf8f/nBqcovSro44PzXbPWiOM+gKs/rRJ/c8Asbju8JqjLEv+h41cWXYedYm69uPg6v8qGKEqIAJb5wV86vfkDR98EO+Z9bOCnOB3Lr+pFWydIdH88JazO2wmcK4Y1FwDIh2R2Zc6BTYqkx5CYCQIDAQAB" }, "burp_download_path" : "D:/burpsuite_enterprise/burp", "port" : 8095 } latypil@MLISCCLDA0143 /cygdrive/d/burpsuite_enterprise $ cat enterpriseAgent/1.0.06beta/agent.config { "enterprise_server": { "url":"https://${installer:enterprise_server_address}:8072", "https_client_configuration": { "keystore": { "location":"${installer:escapedDataDir}/data/keystores/agent.keystore", "password":"keystorepassword" }, "truststore": { "location":"${installer:escapedDataDir}/data/keystores/agent.keystore", "password":"keystorepassword" } } }, "linux_preference_store_path": "${installer:escapedDataDir}", "port": ${compiler:default_agent_port}, "burp_download_path": "${installer:escapedInstallationDir}/burp", "data_path": "${installer:escapedDataDir}", "version": 1 }

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 25, 2018 07:13AM UTC

Hi Ilguiz, Could you please let me know a little more about your installation? Which version of Windows are you using? What actions did you take before re-running the 1.0.06beta installer? I can see you have had problems upgrading from 1.0.05beta also, was that the same installation? In the mean time, to get you back up and running I'd recommend performing a clean install. If you're using the embedded database you should be able to re-use your data directory so there is no data loss.

Burp User | Last updated: Oct 30, 2018 02:46PM UTC

Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1. It is managed by active directory policies, and I am not sure which of the local admin rights my domain account has on it. It appears to have received some additional lockdown recently, as well as a forced Symantec Enterprise agent. The installer takes a few minutes to start and to proceed at the end of the "Extracting files..." phase (and I wonder if Symantec takes time to scan it). I followed the message from Portswigger on deactivating 1.0.05 before installing 1.0.06 on top of it. (I might have tried running 1.0.07 first without reading much into the message, so I canceled that and ran the 1.0.06 install). The clean install fails with the StackOverflowError (plus, due to an annoying bug in Windows Remote Desktop, my re-connecting to the session gets disconnected immediately, which may or may not be related to my running the installer as a local Administrator. I figured I could work this around using a remote qwinsta /server:SERVERNAME to find the session ID against my user name, then using rwinsta /server:SERVERNAME SESSIONID to kill my session). Exception: java.lang.StackOverflowError at java.prefs/java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferencesFactory.userRoot(WindowsPreferencesFactory.java:42) at java.prefs/java.util.prefs.Preferences.userRoot(Preferences.java:457) at java.prefs/java.util.prefs.AbstractPreferences$1.run(AbstractPreferences.java:1070) at java.prefs/java.util.prefs.AbstractPreferences$1.run(AbstractPreferences.java:1068) at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at java.prefs/java.util.prefs.AbstractPreferences.isUserNode(AbstractPreferences.java:1067) at java.prefs/java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences.rootNativeHandle(WindowsPreferences.java:1119) at java.prefs/java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences.<init>(WindowsPreferences.java:461) at java.prefs/java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences.getUserRoot(WindowsPreferences.java:102) at java.prefs/java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferencesFactory.userRoot(WindowsPreferencesFactory.java:42) at java.prefs/java.util.prefs.Preferences.userRoot(Preferences.java:457) at java.prefs/java.util.prefs.AbstractPreferences$1.run(AbstractPreferences.java:1070) at java.prefs/java.util.prefs.AbstractPreferences$1.run(AbstractPreferences.java:1068) at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method) at java.prefs/java.util.prefs.AbstractPreferences.isUserNode(AbstractPreferences.java:1067)

Burp User | Last updated: Nov 07, 2018 03:04PM UTC

I worked around the session kicking issue that seems related to a Windows Server bug, https://serverfault.com/questions/700280/the-desktop-window-manager-has-exited-with-code-0x40010004 but the StackOverflowError (separated into another Portswigger report) keeps popping on clean installations in my locked-down machine. Next time if I get my hands on the Enterprise license, I will try a Linux VM. https://support.portswigger.net/customer/en/portal/questions/17412178-stackoverflowerror-running-the-1-6beta-enterprise-installer

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.