Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Proxy settings for "Check for update" and auto-update feature?

Chris | Last updated: Sep 15, 2021 08:16PM UTC

How/where do you set proxy settings for "Check for update" and auto-updates features in Burp Suite Pro?

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 16, 2021 09:25AM UTC

Hi Chris, You can set up the use of a proxy within Burp via the User options -> Connections -> Upstream Proxy Servers section. There are some further details on the options available on the following page: https://portswigger.net/burp/documentation/desktop/options/connections#upstream-proxy-servers

Chris | Last updated: Sep 16, 2021 04:53PM UTC

Unfortunately our internal proxy uses Kerberos for authentication. We tried the Berserko extension, however, that does not appear to work for Upstream Proxy configurations. How do you configure for support of enterprise proxies that require Kerberos for auth?

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 17, 2021 01:16PM UTC

Hi Chris, Unfortunately, this is not going to work for you if your upstream proxy is using Kerberos authentication (the extension that you have mentioned is used to authenticate during a scan rather than as part of your upstream proxy settings). As an alternative you could look to either manually download and install the Burp installation file from our website or download and run the standalone Jar file from the command line. All our releases are available from the following location: https://portswigger.net/burp/releases#professional

Arnold | Last updated: Dec 22, 2023 12:28PM UTC

Our company uses a HTTP proxy in order to access external (Internet) websites. When I configure Burp to use a upstream proxy server, all web requests are forwarded to our internal proxy server. This works correctly as expected. However, when I try to "check for updates" or refresh the Bapp Store extentions, I get the "unable to check for updates due to network error" message. What can I do to fix this? Burp Pro version 2023.10.1.1.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Dec 22, 2023 12:53PM UTC

Hi Thanks for your message. Does your internal proxy server use a certificate that has been signed by an internal CA? (If you would prefer to discuss this setup directly, feel free to email support@portswigger.net)

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.