Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Proxy Original Request Vs Edited Request

Nicholas | Last updated: Sep 21, 2020 03:45PM UTC

Love the new split view on the proxy history with the request/response! The drop down to flip between the original and edited though is a pain. Going back through the proxy history for reporting and flipping between these two with the extra clicks isn't great. Could there be a buttons/tabs or toggle button where the drop down is now to make it less clicks to get between the two.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 21, 2020 03:57PM UTC

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I have raised this with our development team. We will update this thread if/when the feature is implemented.

floyd | Last updated: Feb 17, 2022 01:03PM UTC

Please, at least make the "Edited Request" or "Edited Response" the default view that is shown. Because the edited version is what is the *actual* traffic, the "Original" is just something you can look at if you need to debug the rules you made. Imagine, I have an extension that changes every request and response (for example because I had to implement Brotli encoding/decoding because Burp is still not supporting it, see https://forum.portswigger.net/thread/brotli-compression-is-not-supported-988bf33f and I have a client and a server that has a hard requirement for brotli). That means when I'm browsing the Proxy view, I have to do three clicks every single time I want to see a different request.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 17, 2022 01:19PM UTC

Hi Floyd,

Thanks for the feedback.

We've registered your interest in a feature request to address this so we'll reach out if/when that has been implemented.

Simon | Last updated: Sep 09, 2022 11:08AM UTC

+1, think this would be really a great improovement!

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 09, 2022 01:17PM UTC

Hi Simon, We are still monitoring the level of demand for this but have added your interest to the existing feature request. We will update this forum thread if we have any further news to share.

Chris | Last updated: Oct 13, 2022 01:34AM UTC

Hey Ben/PortSwigger devs, please add my support to the feature request as well. I just spent 2 hours tracking down an issue because I'd forgotten I'd turned on collaborator everywhere and wasn't seeing the headers in my requests. Yes it was user error, but it would have been obvious if I was seeing the requests ACTUALLY sent to the server.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 13, 2022 09:22AM UTC

Hi Chris, We have added your +1 to this feature request.

mitiu | Last updated: Feb 27, 2023 10:09AM UTC

Hi all, +1, I think too that "Edited Request/Response" should be, when available, the default view. Thanks!

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 27, 2023 11:22AM UTC

Thanks. We have added your interest to this request - currently we are monitoring how many users would find it useful.

Abbadon | Last updated: Aug 25, 2023 09:08AM UTC

Hi, +10 for this. I find myself switching to "edited request" very often. I need to see the request/response that is actually sent to the server and received by the client.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Aug 25, 2023 12:45PM UTC

Hi Abbadon, We have added your interest to the existing feature request that we have for this. In the mean time, the Logger tool will show you the request that is actually being sent to the server (if this is easier to manage in this fashion).

floyd | Last updated: Oct 03, 2023 08:37AM UTC

Ben please be aware that you are correct, the Logger tool will actually show what is being sent to the *server*, but it won't show what is actually sent to the *client/browser*! For an explanation, see the graphic in https://www.pentagrid.ch/en/blog/teaching_burp_a_new_http_transport_encoding/

IamLunchbox | Last updated: Nov 14, 2023 02:46PM UTC

Is there any progress on this? This issue is open for a long time now and I mentioned it in another support ticket as well. Ideally, there should be a project or user setting, which shows the final request to the application by default. The same switch should be provided for automatically edited responses.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 15, 2023 01:29PM UTC

Hi, This particular feature is still in our development backlog and we are still monitoring the level of demand for it. Thank you for the added level of detail that you have provided with regards to how you envisage this working - we will add it to the development ticket that we have for this feature.

Daniel | Last updated: Mar 13, 2024 01:47PM UTC

You can add me to the list of people requesting this feature :) Cheers

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 14, 2024 11:08AM UTC

Hi Daniel, This is not something we are looking into carrying out in the short term but we can add your interest to the development ticket that we do have for this.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.