Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Phone won't connect to proxy server

Mia | Last updated: Jul 18, 2016 08:36PM UTC

I set up Burp, my laptop, and my Android phone per the configuration instructions. My laptop is connected to a mifi device, my phone is connected to the same device. My laptop IP is loaded and running on the Proxy Listener tab in Burp. My laptop is able to browse various webpages. My Android phone cannot display webpages when connected to the proxy server. I get an error in my phone's Chrome browser: This site can't be reached. www.google.com took too long to respond Try: reloading the page. Checking the connections. ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT. I've tried a second Android device and an iphone and none will connect through the proxy server. All are able to connect to the mifi device with "None" as the proxy setting. What am I missing?

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jul 19, 2016 08:16AM UTC

We would suggest: 1. Check that your Burp listener is configured to listen on all interfaces, not just the default loopback interface. 2. Check that your wireless AP allows clients to talk to each other. Some wireless APs don't allow this by default, as a security measure.

Burp User | Last updated: Dec 19, 2019 04:13PM UTC

I also cannot connect my phone to Burp Pro. While all works ok with Community version, the same options don't work on Pro. I've tested my configurations both on the phone and Burp, installed the certificate of Burp Pro. I, of course, turned off Community version before launching the Pro one. I even tried restarting the PC and changing ports in case of some hooks. But I cannot even get to http://burp from the phone. What are other possible reasons for this behavior?

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Dec 20, 2019 09:45AM UTC

What OS is your phone using? To confirm: You are able to proxy traffic through your phone to Community When using the same configuration with Pro, you are unable to proxy traffic through Burp Does your phone have a configurable proxy? Could you tell me your configuration details?

Burp User | Last updated: Dec 21, 2019 03:09PM UTC

Actually. I've tried both iOS 10.3.3 (iPhone 5S) and Android 9 (Google Pixel), neither works with Pro, but does work with Community. In Burp Proxy --> Options I configured interception on all interfaces, port 8080. On the phone in Proxy settings I set my PC's IP and port 8080 in Proxy settings of my WiFi network. Burp cert is installed on both devices.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Dec 23, 2019 02:16PM UTC

Are you seeing any errors either in Burp Pro Dashboard or on your phone when you try and browse? Do you see anything in the Proxy Intercept or HTTP History tabs in Pro?

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.