Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Pass back in "Run post-request macro"

Nicolas | Last updated: Apr 06, 2016 08:53PM UTC

Currently, a session handling rule running a post-request macro can pass back to the invoking tool either: - the response from the current request - the final response from the macro In multi-step work-flows, it is common to have: - the injection point at a intermediary step (let's say #3) - the triggering point at a later step (maybe the final one, let's say #4) In these situations, as a tester enjoying short feedback loops, I'd like to see on the same screen: - the request from Step #3 - the response from Step #4 This is AFAIK doable only with two Burp Suite instances where the upstream one has "pass back the final response from the macro" checked (cf https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TW2-zc47B8 around 00:51:00 for an example). I'd like to have a 3rd "pass back" option where the invoking tool receives the *original request* and the *post-macro response*. I understand that it may not be possible, depending on the internal architecture. Asking anyway... ;-)

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 10, 2016 08:58AM UTC

We understand that this would occasionally be a useful feature, but it's not trivial to implement. In situations like this, would using the sessions tracer tool help you? This lets you view each step of the session handling logic, including all intermediate requests and responses.

Burp User | Last updated: Apr 11, 2016 09:08PM UTC

Yes and no. Of course, "sessions tracer" is super useful as soon as I work with macros and rules. But in this specific scenario, I'm looking for a very short feedback loop, and scrolling through the tracer output will not match. Outside of its own complexity, the trick involving a second instance totally fills my needs.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.