Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Not able to update my Burp Professional suite from 2020.9.2 to 2021.2 version

Ashish | Last updated: Feb 11, 2021 07:16AM UTC

Dear Sir/Maam, I am currently using Burp Professional suite licensed version 2020.9.2. I have downloaded the latest version i.e 2021.2 but not able to upgrade my Burp Pro. I tried installing the latest version using an option "update the existing installation" but when I am launching the Burp from my windows m/c, I do see the older version only. I re-started the Burp many times. Did reboot my laptop as well but I am not able to launch the burp latest version 2021.2 . Please suggest how to do upgrade from version 2020.9.2 to 2021.2 ? Thanks, Ashish Gupta

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 11, 2021 02:05PM UTC

To support automatic updates, Burp can no longer be installed in a directory that requires admin privileges. As a result, upgrading from 2020.9.2 on Windows will likely create a new instance of Burp rather than upgrading your existing installation, so may explain what you are seeing. You'll probably find the executable for 2021.2 in C:\Users\IEUser\AppData\Local\BurpSuitePro\BurpSuitePro.exe, can you check the location used by your shortcut for launching Burp, please? This does also mean that unfortunately, you will have to manually uninstall your old version of Burp. This is a one-off inconvenience. Upgrading to any subsequent releases will not require you to repeat this process.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.