Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Newest Burp Suite Pro Update Issue

Russ | Last updated: Sep 04, 2022 04:10AM UTC

Hi, I've been using Burp Suite Pro whithout issue for a few months and just tried to launch Burp Suite Pro (on Windows) but instead of the usual launch sequence, it began an update and then the error: No JVM could be found on your system. Please define EXE4J_JAVA_HOME to point to an installed 64-bit JDK or JRE or download a JRE from httpx://adoptium[.]net. Was the previous version using a local jre (the jre folder in the same folder as the Burp exe) and a decision was made to require a system environment variable in this new update? If I need to do an actual jre install, which version are you recommending? Also why adoptium[.]net? Wouldn't one want to go to Java or Oracle? Thanks! Best, Russ

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 05, 2022 09:25AM UTC

Hi Russ. Are you using the platform installer version of Burp Suite? This comes bundled with its own version of Java.

Russ | Last updated: Sep 06, 2022 01:36AM UTC

Hi Liam, Thanks so much for responding. >Are you using the platform installer version of Burp Suite? This comes bundled with its own version of Java. Right? I can see that there is a JRE folder in the installed path. I've been using it daily (constantly) for a couple of months without issue. This is the installer BTW: burpsuite_pro_windows-x64_v2022_7_1.exe A few days ago, went to launch the app and I see an "updating..." screen that lasted a few seconds, then the error message I posted above. I've made no alterations / installations / changes to my system. I don't understand why it would suddenly "forget" how to find the JRE that's already local to the installation. Here's something that maybe I should add: The location of the installed exe (which I had no say in BTW) is rather unusual: C:\Users\End User\AppData\Local\Programs\BurpSuitePro\BurpSuitePro.exe Pretty much all executable software installations I have on my box follow a more "conventional" pattern, e.g. C:\Program Files\something\something.exe or very similar. Could this be happening because the new update (auto-updated on the 3rd of this month) doesn't like the local JRE? Should I try creating an environment variable and pointing to the existing local JRE that it was seemingly using without issue before? Let me know if you need any more information. Thanks! Best, Russ

Russ | Last updated: Sep 06, 2022 02:13AM UTC

Hi Liam, Just wanted to add something interesting: The folder "jre" that's local to the installation has "date modified" as Sept. 3rd 2022. This is looking like it was modified by the newest update. Best, Russ

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 06, 2022 08:49AM UTC

This is normally resolved by doing another install and overwriting the existing installation. If this doesn't work, please let us know and we'll investigate further.

Russ | Last updated: Sep 06, 2022 08:59AM UTC

Thanks Liam!

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.