Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

New functionality - More information about responses

Andrej | Last updated: Sep 17, 2018 12:57PM UTC

Hi, I was thinking about a new functionality, which I believe may be very helpful during manual testing:) It would be using a library of pre-defined regular expressions and custom messages/colorings. If the response satisfies some regexp, it would be passively shown to the user in {Proxy, Repeater, Intruder}. There are many errors in the environment I work on, and sometimes it can be hard to notice it. There are different errors for API stuff that won't work, when different services are down, when outdated cookies are used, ... If the tester would pre-define the list, to passively notify if everything is ok/there is some error, it would help, especially with HTML responses which are very large, containing 200kB+ of HTML code. So far, we use Logger++ for that with a large library of different codes, but one needs to switch back and worth to see the results. It would be perfect to integrate the information in the tools like {Proxy, Repeater, Intruder} so that context switching is not needed. Thanks, Andrej

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 17, 2018 01:17PM UTC

Some functionality pretty similar to this is available in the Error Message Checks extension in the BApp Store. When it finds things, it creates Scanner issues, which avoids you switching to and from Logger++ In the future we may make this a core feature.

Burp User | Last updated: Sep 21, 2018 08:53AM UTC

yes, I'm using the Error Message Check, but my usecase was intended for a debugging - when I enter some value which doesn't pass certain validation, or use outdated cookies or identifiers, there are usually numerous different ways these "failures" are reported using different strings. So I wanted to create a pattern library, for specific app I'm testing which I could see in Proxy and Manual tools as well - if everything is ok, or something fails. Thanks for considering this:)

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.