Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

My Burp extension stopped working since the latest Burp update

Pieter | Last updated: Oct 31, 2022 03:08PM UTC

Hi - since I last updated by Burp, I'm getting a new error when trying to load a custom burp extension: java.lang.Exception: Extension class is not a recognized type at burp.u2_.J(Unknown Source) at burp.u2_.<init>(Unknown Source) at burp.q8e.f(Unknown Source) at burp.tze.lambda$panelLoaded$0(Unknown Source) at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:539) at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264) at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1136) at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:635) at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833) I'm wondering if this is related with the new API release, although I understood that old extensions should continue to work without issues. The source code of the extension is public on https://github.com/honoki/bbrf-burp-plugin if that can help. Thanks, Pieter

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 01, 2022 03:03PM UTC

Hi After looking into this extension, this issue is caused because the author has not implemented the "IBurpExtender" class as part of their BurpExtender.java file. Previously, this extension was loading because this implementation was not double-checked (so long as there was a class called BurpExtender with a method registerExtenderCallbacks, the loading was successful). However, now this implementation is checked.

Pieter | Last updated: Nov 02, 2022 11:08AM UTC

Thanks, Hannah. That seems to have solved it. Pieter

Jules | Last updated: Mar 30, 2023 06:40PM UTC

Hello. I am having the same issue and though I read the Hannah's response, I do not see the steps that were taken to resolve Pieter's reported issue. Please let me know what those steps were. I am tryiubg to install ReshaperForBurp to capture and replace data in response. Thank you for considering this request. Jules III

AssistantX | Last updated: Mar 31, 2023 01:20AM UTC

@Jules Are you trying to install Reshaper via the BApp Store, using the jar from the main GitHub repo, or building Reshaper from source? I wouldn't expect you to have problems with the version in the BApp Store. If you are using a jar directly, I suggest using v1.8.3. If you're building from source, I suggest building from tag v1.8.3. If you are still having issues, you can post a Discussion on the main ReshaperForBurp GitHub repo.

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 31, 2023 08:55AM UTC

Hi Jules The steps that Pieter took were to modify the BurpExtender.java file so that it "implements IBurpExtender". You can view his commit here: https://github.com/honoki/bbrf-burp-plugin/commit/d37b1ce88e260a2a2090bff93e735c36e8b99e3c Could you send a copy of the error messages you are receiving? As AssistantX mentions, we would recommend raising extension-related issues on the repo for the extension.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.