Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Montaya extension examples

noraj | Last updated: Nov 14, 2023 07:38PM UTC

For the old API (weiner) there was example in java, python and ruby. For the new montaya API there are only examples in java. Please add examples in python and ruby too.

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 15, 2023 09:37AM UTC

Hi The Montoya API is only compatible with Java. Unfortunately, that means it is not possible to provide Python or Ruby examples. If you are interested in multi-language support in the Montoya API, then please let us know, and we can add your +1 to this ongoing feature request. It would also be useful to know what languages you would be interested in us supporting. Please note that multi-language support in Montoya is not something currently on our roadmap. We are monitoring the popularity of this functionality to help us prioritize work in the future.

Alexandre | Last updated: Nov 19, 2023 08:18PM UTC

Hi! As users and customers, where can we indicate our interest for the multi-language Montoya API? (other than starting numerous new threads here, or privately sending emails to support@). I feel like adding JRuby and Jython support would be a rather low-cost high-ROI effort to invest to give both existing extensions a way to evolve in time, and an accessible way for beginners to start writing extensions with no need to setup a rather intimidating and heavy Java dev environment. As a start, I tried to blindly start writing a Python extension by importing the correct classes from PortSwigger's HelloWorld example (which import without problems upon loading the extension in Burp Suite), but then it fails with the cryptic error "NameError: name 'BurpExtender' is not defined" which is not referenced anywhere in this empty extension. I would guess that this class is internal to Burp, so we definitely need help for PortSwigger to progress. The Montoya API looks pretty nice, but for me it's really not as attractive if it doesn't have Python support and as such, I'm forced into writing simple extensions using the older API. I really hope support for the legacy API will not be removed until Python and Ruby support is ported to the new API ????.

Alexandre | Last updated: Nov 19, 2023 08:19PM UTC

The "????" at the end was meant to be U+1F91E. :)

Dominyque, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 20, 2023 10:59AM UTC

Hi Alex Thank you so much for your feedback! This information is very helpful for us. I have now updated our ongoing feature request with your interest in JRuby and Jython for the MontoyaAPI :)

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.