Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Memory overflow

Greg | Last updated: Nov 16, 2017 04:57PM UTC

Hi Guys. My Burp Pro always will be terminated by my kali linux, because it uses more then 4 GiB memory. I use 1.7.28, but the previous version (27) does the same thing. I run it from terminal like this: java -Xmx1g -jar /root/Programs/burp_pro/burpsuite_pro_v1.7.28.jar When it starts to use too many memory and the linux kill it, the following message is printed to the terminal: ** (java:23323): WARNING **: jaw_impl_get_instance called from jaw_thread. If you are running a screen reader, this is expected If you are not running a screen reader, please report this warning to the java-atk-wrapper package, explaining how to reproduce this warning [1]+ Killed java -Xmx1g -jar /root/Programs/burp_pro/burpsuite_pro_v1.7.28.jar I use: Linux kali 4.13.0-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.13.4-2kali1 (2017-10-16) x86_64 GNU/Linux Interesting thing, when I used the free version I did not experience this error.

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Nov 16, 2017 05:00PM UTC

Hi Greg, Thanks for getting in touch. Burp uses memory mapped files - both for project files and temporary files. These are outside the Java heap, which is why the OS sometimes reports Burp as using more memory than the maximum heap size. However, the OS should intelligently swap these to disk when under memory pressure. I forget the exact terminology, but the memory mapped pages should be flagged differently to heap memory, and the OOM killer shouldn't take them into account - although it sounds like it is doing that. Apart from your Burp process being killed, are you experiencing other issues? I wonder if you'd do best to disable the out-of-memory killer. Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.