Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Make filter input field red when active

Stefaan | Last updated: Sep 17, 2015 07:59AM UTC

Hi, I have a small, but potentially time saving request: Could you please make the filter input field in the Target and Proxy tabs turn red when a filter is active? This is purely a visible indication to show the user that there is a filter active. Sometimes I forget the fact that I put a filter for one job when executing the next job (as filter settings are kept over different burp launches). Thank you, Stefaan

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 17, 2015 02:28PM UTC

Are you referring to the bar above the site map / Proxy history labelled "Filter"? This bar shows a textual representation of the filter, and says "Showing all items" when everything is visible. This is hopefully a sufficient visual indication that there is a filter active. Since Burp applies some filter options by default, and users generally need some filters applied, we don't want to have this bar always appearing in red.

Burp User | Last updated: Sep 25, 2015 12:53PM UTC

Yes, that is the bar I was referring to. Personally, we use burp here on a daily basis and we use filters all the time. Still, once in a while it happens that an active filter is hiding key messages and we have a couple of frustrating minutes before we notice this is due to the active filter. Having a more visual feedback of the fact that a filter is active or not would help. You could also reverse it, showing "Filter: showing all items" in green and make it black whenever a filter is active. In order not to enforce it to all users, you could make this an option? Stefaan

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.