Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Macbook M1

JDKSEC | Last updated: Dec 19, 2020 07:31AM UTC

Hey is Burpsuite supported on the new M1 macs or does it run through rosetta? Just wondering what the performance is like as I need to upgrade my machine and I use burp daily. If it is not is there a plan to support m1 at some point?

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Dec 21, 2020 09:23AM UTC

Hello! We've done some testing under Rosetta, but Burp does run noticeably slower. We are working on official support, but cannot provide a timeframe for when that will be available.

JDKSEC | Last updated: Jan 15, 2021 09:52PM UTC

Ok cool thanks for letting me know, ill keep an eye out for when it is supported

D | Last updated: Jan 19, 2021 07:15PM UTC

I purchased the Mac version of BurpSuite Pro and my company is likely upgrading me to an M1 macbook. Am I able to use the PC version of BS Pro on my windows laptop while I wait on a version that runs well on an M1 Mac?

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 20, 2021 08:34AM UTC

Yes, you can. Burp Suite Professional is licensed per user, rather than per installation so you can use it across a couple of different devices. You can download the software here: https://portswigger.net/burp/releases Your license key will be located in the portswigger.net account associated with your license. Drop us an email at support@portswigger.net if you're having any issues.

D | Last updated: Jan 20, 2021 07:12PM UTC

Thank you! :-)

D | Last updated: Oct 09, 2021 08:07PM UTC

Hello, I am also interested in BURP running on ARM. The issue with BURP on an M1 mac is that, while you can run via Rosetta on Mac native, if you are running a VM through e.g. Parallels (I run Kali on M1 via Parallels), you can't run BURP in the VM - as Rosetta doesn't apply to VMs. I would like to be able to run BURP in Kali on ARM/M1.

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 11, 2021 08:14AM UTC

Thank you for your feedback! We're currently working on a native installer for the M1, and will be working on ARM in the future. Have you tried using the standalone JAR version of Burp on your Kali VM, using a version of Java that works with your setup? The current version of Java that Burp is packaged with is OpenJDK 16.0.2, and you will need a minimum Java version of 9 to run Burp.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.