Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Loading external jars from extensions

Jerome | Last updated: Aug 29, 2016 06:48AM UTC

Hello, I am building a Burp extension and I would like to incorporate external JARs, for example the gson library to store some settings in a file. For the life of me I can't figure out how to get this configured correctly in Eclipse, even though I see some extensions in the bapp store actually do this. I have created a folder called lib in my eclipse project folder and included the external jar on the build path. In the folder where my extension jar lives I also created a folder called lib where I've put the same jar file. No matter what I try, the external JAR is never found and thus used correctly. Thanks, Jerome

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Aug 30, 2016 10:41AM UTC

Have you configured Burp with the location of your folder where external JARs should be loaded from? https://portswigger.net/burp/help/extender.html#options_javaenv

Burp User | Last updated: Aug 31, 2016 02:43PM UTC

Hi David, When I explicitly configure this path it does load the jar. However, when you look at BApp plugins they are able to load external jars from their folders without me having to set the java environment variable. Is this perhaps a setting that is only available for BApp plugins?

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 01, 2016 08:00AM UTC

Yes, there is special support for BApps since we fully control the folder in which they reside and can specify their dependencies. For regular non-BApp extensions, you need to put your dependencies in the configured location.

Burp User | Last updated: Sep 06, 2016 07:32AM UTC

Ok, thanks for the help!

almog | Last updated: Feb 03, 2022 11:40AM UTC

Hi, It is possible to create jar of jars (which called uber-jar in Maven). It generates one jar that include all dependencies without the need to configure path to load external libraries.

almog | Last updated: Feb 03, 2022 11:40AM UTC

Hi, It is possible to create jar of jars (which called uber-jar in Maven). It generates one jar that include all dependencies without the need to configure path to load external libraries.

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 03, 2022 07:56PM UTC

Hi almogh,

Can you clarify the context of your query? Are you creating an extension for submission to the BApp Store?

All the dependencies should be included in the JAR, so the answer to your question is yes.

almog | Last updated: Jul 08, 2022 10:34AM UTC

Hi Uthman, It was not a question, it was a solution for the question asked by "Burp User" to David: The question was: How to add external JARs to Burp extension without the need to put all the external jars in a specific folder and point Burp to that older? Is it possible only with BApp Store? My solution is that it is possible to ship one jar with dependencies without the need to configure Burp to take the dependencies from a folder. Thew way to do that is to create create jar of jars. using it , you can ship only one jar even for extension that are not in BApp Store

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.