Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Load a saved item (e.g. request)

BT | Last updated: Jan 26, 2022 12:15PM UTC

Hi! This might be a basic question, but I recently saved a bunch of requests and I would like to load them back into the repeater for example or just otherwise be able to share them in a human readable format with the developers. How can I convert the saved requests to a text file or otherwise load the saved request back into Burp?

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 27, 2022 08:59AM UTC

Hi Benedikt, How have you saved the requests and where have they originated from? Within Burp, if you right click within a request you should get the context menu option to 'Copy to file', which should then allow you to save the request as a text file. Right clicking in Repeater should also provide a context menu option to 'Paste from file' which allows you to load your saved text file requests (saved using the above method).

BT | Last updated: Jan 31, 2022 01:56PM UTC

Hey! I saved the requests and response from the Intruder mainly via the "Save item" function. Pasting from file is not helpful as it just pastes the whole XML formatted file into the repeater. I guess I could write some kind of parser here, but my expectation would be that the "Save item" feature has a purpose and can also be undone (aka. "Load item" exists).

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 01, 2022 09:02AM UTC

Hi, The 'Save item' functionality will save the request/response to file in XML format (including all relevant metadata). As noted, it sounds like you would need to use the 'Copy to file' and 'Paste from file' functionality that allows you to save requests/responses as is and then subsequently paste the contents of a file saved in this manner back into the message editor.

Jeffrey | Last updated: Apr 30, 2024 11:48PM UTC

Is it possible for this to become a feature request? It is nice to be able to save items, but then they can only be consumed by other tools. If you "copy to file" as was suggested, then you lose the transport information like port and host.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 01, 2024 08:09AM UTC

Hi Jeffrey, Just to clarify, are you wanting this type of functionality in order to be able to copy requests to and from different Burp installations or is there another use case for this?

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.