The Burp Suite User Forum will be discontinued on the 1st November 2024.

Burp Suite User Forum

For support requests, go to the Support Centre. To discuss with other Burp users, head to our Discord page.

SUPPORT CENTRE DISCORD

Create new post

Linux x86_64 - Extremely High CPU Usage

Joel | Last updated: May 20, 2024 12:28PM UTC

Hi, I'm encountering very high CPU usage on the latest version of Burp Suite Professional, as of 2024-05-20. The high CPU usage happens while idle, with no extensions installed. Strangely it also seems to be directly affecting the X11 process, causing its CPU utilization to spike as well. The CPU spike starts after a minute or two of having Burp open, and once it's started it won't stop until Burp is restarted. In the meantime I have downgraded to version 2023_12_1 which does not appear to have the bug.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 21, 2024 07:40AM UTC

Thanks for getting in touch. Did you experience this issue in the latest Stable or latest Early Adopter version of Burp? Although Burp was idle at the time, had you carried out any tasks within Burp prior to leaving it idle? For example, browsing to a target site and viewing the Proxy history tab or using the default live scan tasks?

Joel | Last updated: May 24, 2024 07:38PM UTC

Yes, after more testing I can verify it's in the latest stable and also the older version. But the CPU spike happens when the Proxy tab is open.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 27, 2024 10:00AM UTC

Hi We did have a bug that has now been fixed in our 2024.4.x versions where if the Proxy History column layout was altered so one of the columns, e.g. URL, had the width increased and then Burp had been closed and re-opened with this layout, it could cause an issue with the CPU usage while on the Proxy History tab. Could you try upgrading to he latest stable version 2024.4.4 (released on 23rd May) and let me know if you still experience the issue?

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.