Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

line endings and cut and paste

Simon | Last updated: Oct 17, 2018 04:24PM UTC

Was somewhat perplexed, when I cut and pasted a Referer header cotent (which was highlighted as modified) from "Comparer" to "Repeater" the request failed as malformed (when the request worked before the cut and paste and got 404, and I was making it more like the 200 request when I started getting 400). when I manually typed the referrer it worked (404). Sent the two requests back to Comparer and the Hex view explained the difference. I think "cut and paste" is adding the extra 0D incorrectly. 2.0.09beta on Debian.

Burp User | Last updated: Oct 17, 2018 04:29PM UTC

Oops thought I'd get to attach the diff. The broken one has line ending "0d 0d 0a" the correct one ending "0d 0a" for the referer line. I was pasting a URL ending with a slash, so replacing a Burp Collaborator URL with a proper one the web server might expect.

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 18, 2018 09:50AM UTC

Thanks for letting us know about this. What OS are you running on? In general, Burp uses the clipboard in OS native line endings, which sometimes requires a conversion from HTTP line endings (which use DOS style) and sometimes causes confusion when people are expecting a raw copy.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.