The Burp Suite User Forum will be discontinued on the 1st November 2024.

Burp Suite User Forum

For support requests, go to the Support Centre. To discuss with other Burp users, head to our Discord page.

SUPPORT CENTRE DISCORD

Create new post

jython "Select File" broken

Tim | Last updated: Jun 04, 2024 07:55PM UTC

Currently having an issue (v2024.4.5.) where I click the button to "Select File" for the "Location of the Jython standalone JAR file" in the Extension settings and it fails to select anything. When the window pops up to select a file, it opens to a directory I stored the jython standalone jar in but it shows the folder as blank/empty. It defaults to having the folder display in "icons" but if I click the button to display the folder in "details" it will then show the files in the folder. I can click on the jython file and it will highlight the file but it fails to select it. Nor does it fill in the name of the file in the "Name" field at the bottom of the window. I can manually type the name in but when I click the "Open" button nothing happens. The click occurs/changes state but nothing happens. Repeat clicks on the "Open" button do noting, as expected in this case. The "Cancel" button works and closes the file selection window. This issue also applies to the Ruby JAR file. All of the other fields in Extension settings work and I am able to select folders. Any suggestions on how to fix?

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jun 05, 2024 08:16AM UTC

Thanks for getting in touch. Are you using Burp on Windows? If so, are there any executable files in the same folder as the JAR files you are trying to load? If there are this may link to a known bug in Java that affects the Windows dialog. Are you able to temporarily move the executable files?

Tim | Last updated: Jun 07, 2024 06:07AM UTC

It is Windows and there are .exes in that dir. I'll attempt to make the changes.

Tim | Last updated: Jun 07, 2024 06:12AM UTC

Yup. That did it. Thanks! And as you may already know, the issue applies to any file select window dialog.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jun 07, 2024 07:54AM UTC

Thanks for the update. This does then match up with a bug in Java that is due to be fixed in Java 23. It should only affect exe files that use the default Windows executable icon. https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8320692

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.