Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

JSON decoder in "Decoder"

Stefano | Last updated: Sep 13, 2015 04:06AM UTC

Hi PORTSWIGGER team, I would be really greatful if you add support for JSON decoding to "Decoder". Because usually I find URLs like https%3a\/\/www.google.com\/blablabla... and I have to use other decoder like unescape() to work with a valid URL. Thanks.

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Sep 14, 2015 03:44PM UTC

Thanks for this. We have this request captured in our backlog and we'll look at it when we next have a general push on the Decoder tool.

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 19, 2016 09:43AM UTC

The JSON Beautifier extension in the BApp store does this. If you notice any problems or shortcomings with this, do let us know.

Burp User | Last updated: Mar 07, 2016 12:32PM UTC

Can I add my pin to the map for this request, please. A JSON expander would be really helpful. Mind you a new approach to the decoder, which can operated on different tree branches differently would be really nice.

Burp User | Last updated: Sep 01, 2016 07:46AM UTC

Hello! +1 JSON Decoder realy need, but in last version it not exists in BS. And in work with big json-data json beautyfiler may be very helpfull, like http://codebeautify.org/jsonviewer (view structured json objects with tabs and lines breaks)

Burp User | Last updated: Jun 22, 2017 03:49PM UTC

Hi +1 too. Still missing in 1.7.23. Portswigger, why is it missing as XML is supported.

Burp User | Last updated: Apr 05, 2018 05:50AM UTC

Any news about this feature? I read the last comment about JSON Beautifier but it doesn't serve my purpose.

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 05, 2018 07:01AM UTC

Hi Stefano, Unfortunately, there hasn't been any work on this. Because JSON Beautifier works for most people, it has taken the urgency away. What do you need to do that JSON Beautifier can't help with?

Burp User | Last updated: Apr 06, 2018 01:08AM UTC

Hi Paul, Okay, I understand. What I need is just something like what I can do with URL encoded values and Decoder. Let's say that I see something like this: <script> var something = '{"interesting endpoint": "\/long\/...\/path\/file.ext"}' var other_example_that_ive_seen = '\/other\/long\/path\/....\/file.ext' var other_one = '\x22asdasd\x3c\x22....loooong....\x5c' </script> Then I want to do something like select \/long\/...\/path\/file.ext and press something like cmd+Shift+U or copy & paste the selection in Decoder. Just as simple as that. Sometimes I've needed to encode some value too. Maybe programming wise it is difficult to implement in Java, but it would save me time and "hand effort". JSON Beautifier is not right for me because it expects a JSON document. As I mentioned, I just want to select something and decode/encode that like I can do now with URL encoded values. Thank you for the reply.

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 06, 2018 07:21AM UTC

Hi Stefano, Thanks for the feedback. We'll bear this in mind when we revisit the decoder functionality.

Burp User | Last updated: Apr 06, 2018 02:46PM UTC

Thank you Paul. Sorry if I don't reply in the future, I don't get notifications about the replies here. Best.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.