Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Javascript based redirection not working while using burp proxy.

Arsalan | Last updated: Jul 05, 2023 08:05AM UTC

A module in the application is on another subdomain. While clicking on that module the application uses javascript redirection to the different subdomain but it does not open that module and redirects to the application login page when using burp suite. Whereas, application is working fine with other proxy tools.

Arsalan | Last updated: Jul 05, 2023 08:10AM UTC

Also, the application sends multiple API requests using the OPTION method and that is not intercepted by burp.

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jul 05, 2023 08:50AM UTC

Hi Does the same behavior occur if you configure an external browser to proxy through Burp? You can find instructions on how to set this up here: https://portswigger.net/burp/documentation/desktop/external-browser-config Can you check that your Proxy History filter is set to "Show all"? Do you see the OPTION requests after adjusting your Proxy History filter?

Arsalan | Last updated: Jul 05, 2023 10:19AM UTC

I have tried it from the external browser but the response is same. Just checked with the suggested setting but didn't find any difference. Let me provide you some more detail. I am performing credential-based testing on dev.example.com. The application has a module trv.example.com that has javascript-based redirection which is not working properly. While accessing this module application is also using some API requests like api.example.com which is not even captured or reflected by burp. I got to know about this api using a different proxy tool. All other modules and features of the application are working fine.

Arsalan | Last updated: Jul 06, 2023 05:58PM UTC

Still waiting for your response. Please suggest. I am using Professional Liesecned version.

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jul 07, 2023 09:20AM UTC

Hi Could you drop us an email at support@portswigger.net with your diagnostics information? You can find this by going to "Help > Diagnostics" within Burp. Could you also tell me the external browser that you configured to proxy through Burp? With this same browser, you are able to successfully access the site and perform the redirection when the traffic is not proxied through Burp. However, as soon as this traffic is being proxied through Burp the redirection fails to occur. If you open developer tools in your failing browser and go to the console tab, are any errors reported?

Arsalan | Last updated: Jul 09, 2023 11:45AM UTC

I have emailed the diagnostics details. I was using Firefox as external browse. Yes without configured proxy redirection was working. No errors are reported in browser.

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jul 11, 2023 01:39PM UTC

Thank you for that information, we've received your email.

Arsalan | Last updated: Jul 14, 2023 06:05AM UTC

Any update on this?

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jul 17, 2023 10:01AM UTC

Hi We responded to your email asking for some further information.

Yuris | Last updated: Feb 29, 2024 02:52PM UTC

Any update on this. I am presenting a similar issue.

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 01, 2024 10:46AM UTC

Hi If you pop open your browser developer tools console and replicate the issue, do you get any error messages in there? Do you receive any error messages in your event log in Burp?

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.