Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

Is that possible to create a Docker image of Burp Pro?

Kai | Last updated: Jul 18, 2017 06:43PM UTC

I am trying to create a docker image of Burp suite, two challenges showed up: 1. How to get a Burp Pro version and load the license in it without UI interaction? 2. I have some my own extensions as Jar files, how can I load the extensions without UI interaction? Thanks! Kai

Burp User | Last updated: Jul 18, 2017 08:44PM UTC

Afaik, you can't fully install and configure Burp Suite Pro in a headless way. But you can _run_ it headlessly, once properly configured.

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jul 19, 2017 07:31AM UTC

To launch Burp in Docker, you need to mark your home directory as a volume and include your Burp license in the file: - https://docs.docker.com/engine/reference/builder/#volume - https://docs.docker.com/engine/tutorials/dockervolumes/ You can load an extension via the command interface using a user-level config file. First, make a user config file containing your configured extensions. Then, specify on the command line to use that file. User settings can be specified on the command line using the —user-config-file option.

Burp User | Last updated: Jul 19, 2017 10:59AM UTC

Looking forward having a way to _install_ without a GUI...

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jul 19, 2017 02:12PM UTC

Unfortunately you would have to create the (extension loaded) user config file with a GUI first.

Burp User | Last updated: Aug 03, 2017 05:55PM UTC

Liam, To lunch the burp pro in docker container, can you elaborate on the parts after marking my home directory as a volume and include my Burp license in the file? What should I do next? Thanks! Kai

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Aug 04, 2017 07:24AM UTC

Hi Kai The process should be as follows: - Run Burp on your host machine and license the file manually. - A file will be created. e.g. on Mac: /Users/liam/Library/Preferences/com.apple.java.util.prefs.plist (On Windows the file will be created in the Windows Registry). - Find and grab the file. - Add the file to the Docker volume. - Ensure it is included in the correct path in your Docker image. Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Burp User | Last updated: Jan 05, 2018 10:22AM UTC

Hi liam, same case, i installed burp pro in the docker(auto-deploy), i want to run active-scanner after deployment how to input license automatically? best,

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 05, 2018 10:33AM UTC

Hi Masto, It's not easy to input the license automatically. You can do it with "expect" but we recommend not to as you will hit your activation limit. What we recommend is that you install Burp and activate manually within an image. Then commit the layer to create a new image that you can use in future.

Burp User | Last updated: Feb 08, 2018 09:42PM UTC

I have manually installed the license in the docker container and then did a docker commit in order to snapshot it with the license activated. I'm having trouble getting the BurpSuite Pro interface to load in the container now that the license is activated though.

PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 09, 2018 10:27AM UTC

Hi Randy, Can you explain a bit more about what's happening: do you get any error messages? If you could run Burp with the --diagnostics option and send us the output, that would be most helpful.

Burp User | Last updated: Mar 10, 2018 08:40PM UTC

I was able to work through it. I have a fully functional burp pro docker container running automated tests in our Jenkins pipeline now.

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Mar 12, 2018 08:37AM UTC

Nestor, have you tried following this process: - Run Burp on your host machine and license the file manually. - A file will be created. e.g. on Mac: /Users/liam/Library/Preferences/com.apple.java.util.prefs.plist (On Windows the file will be created in the Windows Registry). - Find and grab the file. - Add the file to the Docker volume. - Ensure it is included in the correct path in your Docker image. Please let us know if you need any further assistance. If you're still having issues with the process we could create a support article? Would this help?

Burp User | Last updated: Apr 23, 2018 01:14PM UTC

Hi Randy, Can you explain how you were successful to do it as I want to do the same install burp pro on docker container and connect it to do the automated tests with Jenkins pipeline?

Burp User | Last updated: May 10, 2018 08:43PM UTC

Hi Randy, Can you share how you managed to do this?

Burp User | Last updated: Jun 10, 2018 10:06PM UTC

If you're looking to, and you're on Linux you should also be able to run burp by mounting the X11 socket into the container: https://blog.jessfraz.com/post/docker-containers-on-the-desktop/

Mike, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jun 11, 2018 07:29AM UTC

Hi Vinny, the correct path will be where you placed your license file. So that will be specific to each user.

Burp User | Last updated: Sep 17, 2019 09:52PM UTC

One of the step mentions: -Ensure it is included in the correct path in your Docker image. what is the correct path for redhat os and mac os? can you give me an example?

Burp User | Last updated: Oct 21, 2019 10:56AM UTC

In Windows, where can I find the Pro version license file in windows Registry. I can't able to find it. Please help me on this.

Mike, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 22, 2019 07:47AM UTC

Balakumar, the license activation file is stored in the Java Preferences Store in the Windows Registry.

MANIKANDAN | Last updated: Feb 13, 2022 02:46PM UTC

I was able to dockerize the burp with pro version. I am worrying about licensing part. Steps what I did 1. I have installed my burp pro in linux box. I took the prefs.xml(which had all details about licensing) 2. Build a docker image by supplying prefs.xml 3. When I start a container it is actually starting/loading the burp I didn't get the prompt saying to enter the license key. In this way, I can start "n" of containers but using the same license key. Do you see any problem here?? There is blog saying that it won't be a problem. Need a confirmation whether this process still be valid. Blog details:https://burpsuite.guide/blog/activate-burpsuite-inside-docker-container/

Maia, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Feb 14, 2022 01:09PM UTC

Hi, Thank you for your mesage. We have responded to your email regarding this.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.