Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

input suggestion boxes not being destroyed

Robin | Last updated: May 14, 2018 12:52PM UTC

Occasionally, an input suggestion box is not destroyed if an item is not selected from it. It then stays on screen on a higher layer than the window that created it, if this is the main Burp window then it gets quite annoying as it can end up covered in white boxes. It happens for me in Ubuntu running Gnome 3 and a quick ask on Twitter shows it is happening for other Linux (Kali was mentioned) users. I'd guess that this is a GTK bug rather than a Burp one but wondering if you know about it and have any fixes. We do know that if you can trigger the box again and this time select something from it, the ghost one is often destroyed.

Burp User | Last updated: May 14, 2018 01:07PM UTC

This is the twitter thread if you want to get any more information from any other user having the problem. https://twitter.com/digininja/status/996002360144121857

Burp User | Last updated: May 15, 2018 07:39AM UTC

Report says it doesn't happen on Xubuntu.

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 15, 2018 07:44AM UTC

Robin, thanks for the additional information. We've tested for this issue extensively using Ubuntu 17.4 running Gnome on VMware. So far, we've been unable to reproduce the issue. Could you tell us anymore about your set up and any steps you have used to reproduce the issue?

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 17, 2018 10:25AM UTC

Thanks for the additional information Ashley. We'll update you when we've made some progress.

Burp User | Last updated: May 17, 2018 10:57AM UTC

Just had a report that it also happens in i3 window manager so not just Gnome3 then.

Burp User | Last updated: May 17, 2018 10:59AM UTC

And to answer your other question, I'm on Ubuntu 17.10, Gnome3, basic setup. No special tweaks in the UI. Reports say it definitely happens in Kali default install as well.

Burp User | Last updated: May 18, 2018 02:57AM UTC

This has been happening to me for quite some time, close to a year. I don't know how specifically to reproduce other than generally just using the search box. OS: Ubuntu (both 16.04 & 18.04) Burp Suite: 1.7.33 (and earlier) Community Edition

Liam, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 18, 2018 07:48AM UTC

Just to let you know that this issue should be fixed in today's release (1.7.34). Thanks for your feedback and please let us know if you run into any other problems.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.