Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

IMessageEditor - Custom highlighting

Corey | Last updated: May 15, 2021 01:28PM UTC

Hey all! I've been adding a requested feature in Logger++, but have a question about the Burp API, and thought I'd post it here in case others have the same question in future. Logger++ has a "Grepper" functionality, and a user has requested to be able to view the matching log entry when clicking on the search result. My question is if it is possible to have the IMessageEditor, being used to display the request, highlight certain parts of the request? I've implemented the code to convert the matching regions into markers and used the `applyMarkers` method to build an IHttpRequestResponseWithMarkers object, but it doesn't appear to be possible to have the IMessageEditor handle this to render the markers as highlights. Is it possible to this at all? If not, could this be added as a feature request please? Thanks!

Hannah, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 17, 2021 09:02AM UTC

Hi Unfortunately, this is not currently possible in the Extender API. The markers are only used in certain cases, like as part of an issue or when specifying Intruder payload positions or Scanner insertion points. We have an ongoing feature request to apply highlighting to the message editor, so we've associated this forum thread with the feature request in order to better prioritize this work. We should be taking a look at changes to the Extender API later this year, so if you have any further feature requests then please let us know!

Corey | Last updated: May 17, 2021 08:57PM UTC

Hi Hannah, Thank you for your helpful response as always! :) I'll be looking forward to the extender improvements, I've got a few ideas but I'm sure you'll have though of them already! If I have anything in particular in mind I'll make sure to request it. Thanks again.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.