The Burp Suite User Forum will be discontinued on the 1st November 2024.

Burp Suite User Forum

For support requests, go to the Support Centre. To discuss with other Burp users, head to our Discord page.

SUPPORT CENTRE DISCORD

Create new post

I am getting the below Java Stackoverflow error when running the latest Burp Proxy jar file with OpwnJDK 20.0.1 and 20.0.2, with or without extensions

Rui | Last updated: Jul 18, 2024 02:48PM UTC

C:\Software\Sectools\Appsec>c:\openjdk-22.0.2\bin\java -Xmx24576M -jar burpsuite_pro_v2024.6.3.jar java.lang.StackOverflowError at java.desktop/javax.swing.text.View.getViewFactory(View.java:1028) at java.desktop/javax.swing.text.View.getViewFactory(View.java:1028) at java.desktop/javax.swing.text.View.getViewFactory(View.java:1028) at java.desktop/javax.swing.text.View.getViewFactory(View.java:1028) at java.desktop/javax.swing.text.View.getViewFactory(View.java:1028) at java.desktop/javax.swing.text.View.getViewFactory(View.java:1028) at java.desktop/javax.swing.text.View.getViewFactory(View.java:1028) at java.desktop/javax.swing.text.View.getViewFactory(View.java:1028) at java.desktop/javax.swing.text.View.getViewFactory(View.java:1028) at java.desktop/javax.swing.text.View.getViewFactory(View.java:1028) at java.desktop/javax.swing.text.View.getViewFactory(View.java:1028) at java.desktop/javax.swing.text.View.getViewFactory(View.java:1028)

Rui | Last updated: Jul 18, 2024 03:02PM UTC

Addendum: Using BurpSuite Professional 2024.6.3-30571 Addendum: Also occurs with openjdk-21+35

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jul 19, 2024 01:22PM UTC

Thanks for getting in touch. At what stage do you see those errors? Do they appear as you try to start Burp or has Burp launched and these appear as you use Burp? If they appear as you use Burp, what tasks are you carrying out when they appear?

Rui | Last updated: Jul 19, 2024 03:42PM UTC

The errors appear as Burp is loading.

Rui | Last updated: Jul 19, 2024 03:50PM UTC

...loading a project file.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jul 22, 2024 08:54AM UTC

Does this happen with all project files or just specific ones? Are they disk-based files? If you start a new temporary project file, do you see the same messages at the CLI?

Rui | Last updated: Jul 23, 2024 02:22PM UTC

ok, this only appears to happen with a specific project file, with or without extensions added. There appears to be no issue with other project files, whether temporary or on disk. I will restart the project and see if the issue persists. Is there a way to identify what is causing the problem by analyzing the project file? Thanks Rui

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jul 24, 2024 09:48AM UTC

Thanks for the update. When you see these errors, are you still able to see all the information in the project file? Or are there issues with the behavior of the project file? We may be able to find out more if you send us the output from Help > Diagnostics and temporarily enable Settings > Suite > Performance feedback > Log performance data to a local directory, then close Burp and re-open the project that has the issue and send the resulting log file to support@portswiger.net. At this stage I can't guarantee how much detail this will give us but we can certainly take a look.

Rui | Last updated: Jul 31, 2024 09:14PM UTC

When you see these errors, are you still able to see all the information in the project file? Usually, though sometimes Burp does not start at all or hangs Or are there issues with the behavior of the project file? Once the project is loaded, Burp seems to work ok, although it keeps generating similar errors on the Windows console Help > Diagnostics and performance log data has been emailed. Thx Rui

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Aug 01, 2024 12:43PM UTC

Hi Thanks for the update. Did you send the diagnostics file to support@portswigger.net from the same email address you're using to post here? If so, can you please try resending it as I have not yet seen the email. Thanks!

Rui | Last updated: Aug 01, 2024 02:48PM UTC

Resent again this morning from wavefront1@shaw.ca with subject "Troubleshooting "I am getting the below Java Stackoverflow error when running the latest Burp Proxy jar file with OpwnJDK 20.0.1 and 20.0.2, with or without extensions"

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Aug 02, 2024 08:21AM UTC

Thanks :) I've received that email now, so I'll take a look through and be in touch soon.

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.