Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

How to run Burp together with v2ray proxy (v2ray needed to bypass chinese censorship)

45dfcg | Last updated: Dec 22, 2020 03:11PM UTC

Hello guys, I have trouble configuring Burp when running v2ray proxy at the same time trough firefox as Socks host on port 1080 as Socks 5. I need v2ray to bypass chinese firewall. I use firefox version 83.0 Linux mint ulyana I already tried to link browser to burp with 127.0.0.1 and 8080 and further tried to make burp send traffic to server through socks proxy function in burp, it didnt work, also not sure if I did right. v2ray works as follows...browser --> (socks protocoll) --> client--> (vmess protocol)--> server --> (freedom protocol)--> web. Would be great if somebody could help me to configure burp in a way that it runs together with v2ray https://www.v2ray.com/en/ thanks guys

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Dec 22, 2020 05:08PM UTC

It looks like there are very descriptive instructions below. Have you checked them out? - https://www.chinapyg.com/thread-138155-1-1.html

45dfcg | Last updated: Dec 24, 2020 03:34PM UTC

Thanks @Uthman, I checked the site, and did everything as (google translate) said. which is mainly entering 127.0.0.1 and port 1080/ 1081 into upstream proxy, also tried with authentication types, entering name and pw for server connection. But now burp/ browser said: Error Failed to connect to 127.0.0.1:1080 whats the matter with that? Also tried server port and socks proxy function in burp, but that didn't help... Does anybody has any further suggestions ? Thanks in advance!

Uthman, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Dec 24, 2020 03:55PM UTC

Thanks, it looks like those instructions could be outdated. You essentially need to set up v2ray and then specify it as an Upstream Proxy Server under User options > Connections in Burp. Can you try using the guide below to set v2ray up properly before you attempt to use it with Burp? - https://www.v2ray.com/en/welcome/install.html

45dfcg | Last updated: Dec 25, 2020 01:30PM UTC

Hello @Uthman, thanks for the reply, I specified v2ray as upstream proxy server under user options, inserting 127.0.0.1 and 1080. I think theoretically as far as I understand the system it makes sense when I put burp inbetween my broswer and my v2ray protocol software which will access my server. so i connect my browser to 8080 and burp to 1080, both with 127.0.0.1. but I dont know what I miss and why burp cant access the proxy. V2ray also runs perfectly fine under normal conditions and is faster then any vpn. Is it really only inserting port and 127.0.0.1 to upstream proxy? thanks in advance and merry christmas.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 05, 2021 11:56AM UTC

Hi, Are you able to send us an email to support@portswigger.net with some screenshots of the settings that you have configured within Burp, your browser and the proxy so that we can take a better look at the exact setup that you are using?

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.