Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

how to limit the RAM memory for burp suite?

sathish | Last updated: Oct 18, 2020 06:29AM UTC

Hi, Burp Suite is taking up lots of memory, its is rapidly increasing the RAM usage, I how can i control that? I don't use JAR, I use EXE. Thank you

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 19, 2020 07:35AM UTC

Hi, By default, Burp assigns 50% of your system memory for use on startup. If you do want to change this then you can edit the vmoptions file in the Burp installation directory and override the default memory allocation. The line to be changed is: -XX:MaxRAMPercentage=50 Please be aware that Burp requires a sufficient amount of resource in order to be able to run and perform tasks - if you reduce the amount of RAM available to it then this might have a negative impact on performance or stop Burp from working entirely.

sathish | Last updated: Oct 19, 2020 09:15AM UTC

Hi, burp takes ram on start-up is okay but, while working in burp rapidly its getting overloaded and also not reducing the memory usage when the usage of burp reduces.

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 19, 2020 09:26AM UTC

Hi, Are you using a temporary project or a disk-based project when you are using Burp?

sathish | Last updated: Oct 19, 2020 12:01PM UTC

Hi, I use both things, but mostly in saving the project on the disk(SSD)

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Oct 19, 2020 12:49PM UTC

Hi, If you use a temporary project then Burp holds all of the project information (requests, responses etc) in RAM memory, which would account for a higher usage of resources. Where are you seeing the increase in resources being used - within Burp itself or the activity monitor on the operating system that you are using?

sathish | Last updated: Oct 19, 2020 02:06PM UTC

Hi, I used to see on Burp itself and system usage and by nature I can feel that too.

Jyoti | Last updated: Apr 22, 2024 04:37PM UTC

I am facing the same issue Burp Suite is using my entire memory & completely freezes my system. I will have no choice but reboot the system loosing everything done before. What is the best solution to reduce memory usage by Burp?

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 23, 2024 07:18AM UTC

Hi Jyoti, Are you able to email us at support@portswigger.net and include your diagnostic information so that we have a better understanding of the setup that you are using? Are you carrying out any particular activities within Burp when you experience this behaviour?

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.