Burp Suite User Forum

Create new post

How To Increase The Amount Of RAM Used By Burp

Haydelawal | Last updated: Apr 28, 2021 03:22PM UTC

Good Day Portswigger. I'm running burp on a vmware. I want to increase the amount of ram used by burp. It always seem to use very little ram out of the available ram i have. Can I increase allocated ram on burp somehow? Thanks in advance <3

Ben, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Apr 28, 2021 05:43PM UTC

Hi, Are you using the installed version of Burp or the standalone Jar file?

Bhuvnesh | Last updated: Dec 31, 2021 05:51AM UTC

the installed version of burp suite professional

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Jan 05, 2022 09:14AM UTC

If you are using the installed version of Burp Suite Professional you will see a vmoptions file in the installation directory. This file contains a line that specifies how much memory to use as a percentage of the memory available on your system. By default, this is 50 but you can customize this setting if you wish. I hope this helps. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Unknown | Last updated: May 25, 2023 01:54AM UTC

How can I increase RAM usage on community edition ??

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: May 25, 2023 08:00AM UTC

If you are using Burp Suite Community Edition you will also have a vmoptions file in the installation directory. You also have the option to create a user.vmoptions file so that any settings yous elect are preserved when you upgrade Burp.

Rahim | Last updated: Dec 23, 2023 04:51AM UTC

the standalone Jar file version of burp suite professional.

Michelle, PortSwigger Agent | Last updated: Dec 27, 2023 09:17AM UTC

Hi If you are starting Burp from the CLI using the JAR file, you can specify the amount of memory to be used in the command you use to launch Burp, e.g. java -jar -Xmx4g /path/to/burp.jar You can find more details on this here: https://portswigger.net/burp/documentation/desktop/troubleshooting/launch-from-command-line

You must be an existing, logged-in customer to reply to a thread. Please email us for additional support.